Chinese-Forums

了 in 拿了手錶起來

davoosh

I realise there is already a discussion on 了 and this question comes from reading one of the posts by Altair on 了(very informative posts I must say).

After reading these four sentences I had some questions and simply had to ask (perhaps Altair himself could comment as he made these observations):

a: 我拿起來了手錶。

b:我拿了手錶起來。

c:我拿起手錶來。

d:我把手錶拿起來了。

Altair comments that 我拿起手錶來 cannot have 了 after 拿起 as there is no definite endpoint between the picking up (拿起)and moving toward (來), after asking a native speaker he said that 我拿起了手錶來 is fine - I think this may be because the endpoint is the watch, and not the 'moving toward' direction. I am not sure if this can be used as a sentence on its own though?

A baidu search on 拿起了電話來 also gives some results, and most of them appear to be used in a sequence of narration style.

Interestingly, the native speaker I asked said he would interpret 我拿了手錶起來 as 我拿了手錶(然後)起來, with 起來 as a standalone verb meaning to get up.

Any comments/observations on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Like 1

a: 我拿起來了手錶。 -- should be no '来'

b:我拿了手錶起來。 -- should be no '起来' but also the meaning change to I take this watch away.

c:我拿起手錶來。 -- should be no '来'

d:我把手錶拿起來了。-- the best and native one.