Chinese-Forums

Hangzhou Airport (Xiaoshan): Airport Bus

Swiffer

Hi!

According to the official website (-> http://www.hzairport.com/en/bus.aspx) the Airport Bus leaves from Xiaoshan Airport to Hangzhou Downtown every 30 mins after 9 pm.

- Could anyone confirm that the Airport Bus runs all day/night long?

As I will arrive at Xiaoshan at 11 pm I would like to know whether I will have to catch/order a taxi or count on getting on the Airport Bus.

Thanks!

I am not sure if it is all night but I have arrived several times after midnight and then it goes so 11 should not be a problem. Same in the morning. I have taken very early buses and they do go. The only issue is this will filling up the bus. Depending on how many passengers there are it might take some time. I often just skip that waiting and go for a taxi. That is like 100 kuai one way. Note, stay away from black cabs, can easily cost you 500. The real cabs are to the left outside of the terminal, buses are to the far right.

Note, stay away from black cabs, can easily cost you 500.

How does that work at Hangzhou? Do they just take you by a very long route or do they add on some bogus extra fees for tolls or luggage? Or by some other method or trick? Strong arm tactics (a confederate with a knife) or some such? Surely it isn't negotiated up front: nobody would agree to pay that much initially.

When you step out of the customs there are the usual drivers approaching you and trying to convince you that there are no regular cabs but they can give you a "good price". If you do ask for a price you might get a low or at least acceptable price. On the road they remind you that there is a pay toll and that price might be exaggerated. Other of my colleagues have been taken on detours with the info that the regular road is closed and they have to go around this or that there are traffic problems etc. It is much better nowadays since the airport actually try hard to keep them away. Also, there are usually plenty of regular taxis and they can give you a price that will hold. I have never had any problems with any regular cab driver in Hangzhou and I go there often. Same in the city, no problems but sometimes they can refuse to take you since it is on the wrong way for them or to short etc:-) Depending on what part of the city you are going to a regular cab can cost you from 100 to 150. I live close to west lake and for me it is usually around 110.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to answer the question.

The airport bus is very handy! I recommend, you buy a ticket in the arrival hall, and then exit on the right, and they are are.

I think it cost maybe 20 rmb from Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport to the Downtown (but this 'downtown' is useless... because they will ask you where are you going, and they not really understand downtown. So the bus stops at the Hangzhou Railway Station, at Pinghai lu (next to the Sun yat sen statue, there is a big hotel), and the final stop is Wulinmen.

The airport bus waits for the last plane... evening there are sometimes serious delays, so i happenned that my plane arrived in hangzhou around 2 a.m and the airport bus was still there. Of course sometimes you need to wait a bit more, because they have a tendency to wait until the bus is full...

Mandarinboy is right, do not take a taxi from airport at night. After 10-11pm I think there are no proper taxis at the airport, just the "black" drivers who want to rip you off. I HATE THEM, they are putting the car keys in the face of you, and starting the stupid 'HELLO, TAXI???'.

So just take the airport bus... and from wulinmen just take a normal taxi... there will be plenty of. (only avoid the shift-change - so 4-6pm. that is horror in hangzhou, almost impossible to find a taxi in the westlake area).

@oneeyedcats

If you come from Shanghai Pudong or Hongqiao with airport bus, then you should go until Huanglong. But sometimes the buses just go until Wulinmen, which is also good. From there I recommend to take a cab to the university... Because first time in Hangzhou, walking to the university, it could be a bit tough.

And the taxi from Huanglong to the Zheda North Gate (next to 31 building) cost 11rmb, from wulinmen it cost around 16-18rmb...Just write down the exact address, where you go - especially if your Chinese is limited.