Chinese-Forums

Beijing floods

adrianlondon

Was here in Beijing last night during the storm. Yeah, it sure rained a lot.While it's sad that 10 people drowned and all, Beijing has what, 20 million people? There are probably more than 10 Beijingren that die from slipping in the shower each day. Not to be insensitive or anything.

• Like 1

The sky was very dark in the morning, before the storm hit. Ended up canceling plans to run errands and stayed home all day, watching and listening to the rain. Amazing weather today: Blue sky, sunshine, gentle breeze.

I've been in Beijing for three years and have realized that summer is my favorite season here, because of the thunderstorms. There was a big storm a couple of weeks ago; fortunately there weren't any injuries or casualties. I was sad to hear that 10 people died during yesterday's storm.

Drainage is a real problem in Chinese urban areas. I remember riding in a shuttle to a train station in Tianjin and the streets were flooded after maybe three hours of heavy rain, water up to above our knees, literally, in the street.

well, it might have been different in other parts of the city, but around Sanlitun and the areas of Chaoyang I was in, there was a lot of water, a lot of rain and at times it was difficult to drive. But no whatsoever disaster situation as it is described by some of the media. The restaurant we went to was full just as normal, the subways were running as normal and I even managed to get a taxi back (though I was a bit lucky there probably).

So if there was horrible flooding and a need to pray for people - it must have been in some part of Beijing far away from where I live. In a city of 20 million, indeed I would imagine at least 10 people die every day falling down the stairs on any given day.

One story I havent heard about was the weibo campaign to help to "rescue" people from the airport as there were no more taxis, where people just drove there and picked up people for free. I have one friend who went twice.

Found myself in Northern Beijing (芍药居 area) during the storm. I was on the 10
th
floor but the basement apartments were badly flooded. A few of us went downstairs with the big buckets and helped the guys clear water until the fire brigade came (1am).

It was bad, the worst storm in 60 years according to some, but this isn’t the first time I’ve experienced floods like this in Beijing and you would have to point to the drainage system. Still, when the fire brigade arrived the pumps did the job and we kept the worst at bay. Fangshan looks bad indeed.

I was lucky I went home before it really started to rain a lot but a lot of other people didn't have that chance or did loose their home.

At the moment there are rumours spreading that in some parts there are still more than 200 people missing or unaccounted for but in the news they don't talk about it. I don't know what to think about that because mostly rumours is what they are rumours. I hope it will stay a rumour and we won't have to see an updated deadtoll.