Chinese-Forums

First verifiable record of Japanese envoy in China found

bhchao

Just last year the first verifiable record of a Japanese envoy in China was found at Xian near Northwest University. During the Tang dynasty, Japan sent students to China to learn about the Chinese culture and world affairs. Many became court officials serving the emperor.

The stone epitaph of this Japanese envoy lists his Chinese name as Jing Zhencheng, and was dated 734 during the 開元 period. The epitaph also refers to Japan as Nihon. Based on this link, the oldest documentation in Japan calling it Nihon dates back to the mid-eighth century. The discovery in Xian predates that, and confirms that China was calling Japan "Nihon" rather than Wei.

Jing Zhencheng was just one of those many students in China. The most famous student, Abe no Nakamaro, was also taken into Xuanzong's court in Chang'an. His epitaph is yet to be found as many artifacts continue to be discovered year after year in China.

http://www.asahi.com/english/opinion/TKY200410140130.html

hmm, looks like you are right. I did a little bit more research and found that Wu Zetian made up the name of "Ri Ben", and used it to call Japanese emissaries. The first time she called an emissary by this name was in 703AD, before Xuanzong took power. This name, or "Ni Hon" became the standard name for which Japan is known by.

日本- 'Nihon': Ni - sun, Hon - root

• 3 weeks later...
外人・・・様!

Hello. My first post!:clap

Here is something that I can help with.

>日本- 'Nihon': Ni - sun, Hon - root

In Japanese、 本 means either book, or in this case, origin.

So 日本 means Ni- sun Hon-origin or origin of the sun, because 神道 (shinto) myth says that the sun was born behind 富士山 (mt. Fuji).

Edit: In Japanese, root is 根.

本 in Chinese means origin and principle; not root. Root/radish is 根.

Figuratively speaking, root also means "foundation", not simply the fiber material of a plant found underground. I was referring to "root" as in "the roots of one's mentality".

I should have picked a better word. Thanks for the definitions though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello. My first post!:clap

Here is something that I can help with.

>日本- 'Nihon': Ni - sun' date=' Hon - root

In Japanese、 本 means either book, or in this case, origin.

So 日本 means Ni- sun Hon-origin or origin of the sun, because 神道 (shinto) myth says that the sun was born behind 富士山 (mt. Fuji).

Edit: In Japanese, root is 根.[/quote']

wow.. lots of similarities between japanese and chinese..