Chinese-Forums

What does 这是讲讲的,人家想要还要不到呢 mean?

anonymoose

I came across this sentence here:

这是讲讲的,人家想要还要不到呢。

What does 人家想要还要不到呢 mean? Is this a fixed expression, or is it a pattern that can be used with other words?

Thanks.

To me "人家想要还要不到呢" is basically saying "they can't get it even if they want it." I've seen this pattern used with other verbs such as "吃", "看", etc.

"人家想吃还吃不到呢" -> "they can't eat (have a chance to eat) it even if they want to eat it"

"人家想看还看不到呢" -> "they can't see/watch (have a chance to see/watch) it even if they want to see/watch it"

If you're reading out loud / saying this phrase, you'd put a break after the "想 + verb". So it would be "人家想要, 还要不到呢"

• Like 3

Thanks. That makes sense, but I don't see how it really relates to the context of the original quote. Maybe I should have quoted more:

“阿仿,儿子呢?现在顽皮得不得了吧!”

“他睡觉了,还听话。”大哥心不在焉地回答。

“听话个什么!皮死了,我不要他了。”嫂嫂纠正道。

“这是讲讲的,人家想要还要不到呢。皮的小孩都聪明。”

Is the person saying that others couldn't have such a mischievous child even if they wanted one, or what?

“听话个什么”
is really a very colloquial expression. 听话 literally means listen words, usually refers to (a child) is obedient, well-behaved. "个什么" is used to express dissent. It means "really? you think ... ? " So" 听话个什么 " means "really? you think he is well-behaved, (I don't think so) "

More example,

(从餐馆出来)

(Get out of the restaurant)

A- 今天的晚餐真好吃

The dinner is really delicious.

B- 好吃(个) 什么,还没我自己做的好吃。

Really? You think so? (I don't think so) I can cook better.

• Like 1

I'd say it's not the exact same as "什么是..." but it expresses the same incredulity as things like that and "哪儿有..." and "怎么会..."

Sidenote:

"That was delicious!"

"Delicious my foot, that was terrible."

• Like 2

Thanks for the explanations and extra examples. I still don't totally get why there's a 個, though. It's starting to make some sense, like "listen to a what?" if I were to force a literal English translation on it, but it's still a bit beyond me.

I still don't totally get why there's a 個, though.

Don't worry, just take it as a fixed expression. I don't know why there's a 个 in 哭个不停 or 看个究竟, either. I just take them to be Northern-influenced expressions (personally I would say 不停地哭 or 哭啊哭).