Chinese-Forums

Buying an ergonomic chair in Beijing

WestTexas

Anyone have an idea where I might buy an ergonomic chair in Beijing? I'm talking about a real, high-quality, engineered ergonomic chair. Not just one of those oversized office chairs that hurt your back if you sit in them for too long. Type in 'ergonomic chair' on google images search if you aren't clear about the difference. Anyway, I tried shopping for one of these in the town where I work and they didn't have any, just crappy office chairs designed to be really big and project power through their size and leather finishing. A lot of Chinese don't seem to know 人体工程学, so maybe it's not a common idea here. Anyway, I really need to buy one of these while I'm here in Beijing, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Also, maybe this is weird, but will it be a problem if I carry the chair onto the train with me to take it back? I was thinking I'd just get a sleeper and carry it on, then put it in the gap between the bunks on the sleeper car. I think playing the stupid laowai card and just pretending I don't know what they're saying if they try to stop me from taking the chair on the train will work out even if I'm not supposed to take it on the train.

I have the Markus chair which I bought at the Ikea in Shanghai, and I like it quite a lot. I personally like chairs with tall, straight backs that don't move, as they provide more support for your back. Some so-called ergonomic chair have backs that bend when you lean back. They provide very little support for your back.

If you google "ikea markus chair ergonomic", you'll find some reviews.

http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/00103102/

MARKUS Swivel chair, black

A lot of the ergonomic chairs can lean back or lock. So if you lock it, the back doesn't lean, but if you pull the bar further out, then you can lean back.

That Markus chair doesn't look bad. There appears to be a nice big pad on the lower back area, which I like. Would prefer bigger armrests but if I can't find that maybe I'll go with a chair like that.

I don't think you'll be able to play the stupid laowai card to get the chair on to the train. In fact have you seen Beijing station since the real name ticketing was introduced? I doubt you'd even be able to fit a decent sized ergonomic chair through the newly erected ID checking barrier.

There is a way to send oversized luggage with you on trains (or at least there used to be). I've never done it myself, but knew someone who used to do it. The other option would be to look into having it delivered, and just eating that as part of the cost of the chair.

In fact have you seen Beijing station since the real name ticketing was introduced? I doubt you'd even be able to fit a decent sized ergonomic chair through the newly erected ID checking barrier.

Huh, they must not have that at Beijing West yet, because I was there last week and didn't have to show ID for anything. If I buy the chair in a box I should be able to get it on the train with no problems anyways.

Yeah this is at Beijing main station. It's a bit crazy, the whole main entrance is now surrounded by a high fence with multiple gates with a person scanning and checking the new tickets and comparing them against your ID. Chair in a box would probably work ok, depending on the size of the box of course.

I've actually got a ticket for Thursday leaving from Beijing Station, and it has my passport number printed on it. I guess I'll leave an extra 30 minutes early since that extra security seems like it might add some time.