Chinese-Forums

Renewing Residence Permit (now it's too early, later it will be too late)

Sydney Matt

I've looked through the visa forum, but I'm still a bit unclear about this situation.

My residence permit was issued on 12 March, having been converted from an X visa at my university in Kunming (i.e. purpose of residence = 学习). The residence permit is due to expire on 30 August, but as I will be in Beijing from mid-late August, it looks like I won't return to Kunming with enough time to handle the renewal. I will be studying at the same university this coming semester, so I asked at the university yesterday (the office is of course all but abandoned being holidays), and they said they won't start processing study visas/residence permits until around the registration dates for the new semester.

Also, I'm still thinking of doing a little more travelling this next week or two.

One option is perhaps just to leave it to the very last minute, right as my residence permit is expiring. I might just scrape through this way, but I'd much much rather not if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions warmly appreciated with thanks!

PS. The reason I'll be in Beijing is to particiapte in the Chinese Bridge (汉语桥), which is why the dates aren't of my own choosing. I do have a few reservations based on other posts and discussions with classmates, but on the other hand, I think it should be fun!

Update:

So, I went to the PSB this afternoon. They suggested I ask the university to change my current residence permit to a tourist L Visa, then at the start of September/beginning of the new semester, apply for a new residence permit.

So, I'll go to the university tomorrow and get that sorted. Hopefully it will be fast, because I really want to do at least a little bit of travelling. Anyway, just thought I'd post this for the benefit of others with similar questions.

• Like 1