Chinese-Forums

Country-Code free DVD player

PengHaoShi

I need to buy a country-code free DVD player in China, as I have quite an amount of DVD's bought in China, Hong Kong, Europe and US, but I don't know the Chinese equivalent to "country-code free". I asked a few Chinese friends, but they also didn't know (I think, they have no need for that, as they only buy in China the fake DVD's). I tried to express it in some shops with " a DVD player which has no 区码" and a "无区码 DVD player", but they didn't understand me and some people told me that 区码 refers to postal code only and they didn't understand what this had to do with a DVD player.

Anybody who knows, how to express this in Chinese?

Thanks.

I suspect this is because all DVD players sold in China are region-free and the idea of buying one that decides what you can and can't watch appears ridiculous. Either way, you can probably take a selection of your own DVDs down to the shop to test.

Really? That's surprising, considering China is its own region as far as DVDs go.

China is also its own region as far as observing any regulations go. That is, they don't. DVD machines in China are region free.

Perhaps what you need is one of these! :lol:

5711.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • New Members

In my experience, the situation is a little different from what's been said here so far.

I bought a Panasonic Blu-ray/DVD player on 360buy.com a year ago -- that website has authorized sellers. My player is region-coded for China and will not play DVDs or Blu-rays from other regions.

Pirate DVDs, however, usually have the region-code removed, so I have not had any problem with those. Legit DVDs I myself brought over from the US which have region-coding will not play in my player. Same goes for at least one Blu-ray I brought over (Chungking Express).

I believe (but haven't tested it myself in a few years) that most Chinese-brand DVD players do not have region-coding and will play DVDs from all over the world. I bought an official Panasonic player because I have a Panasonic TV and it is more convenient to use it with my TV.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I also had some trouble half a dozen years ago playing DVD's with a rather expensive dvd player in China but my friend's 100 rmb player was able to play every one of them. Another option for you - I use an htpc (home theater pc) to play most things now and I find that vlc will play anything I put into the drive.