Chinese-Forums

Quarantine and import procedures for cat - anyone with experience?

peterlkj

Moving back to China at the end of August from Singapore - and bringing my cat with me!

Getting the cat out of Singapore seems straightforward, however I haven't managed to uncover much information about what happens when I arrive at Beijing Capital Airport with my cat as excess baggage - there are some agencies more than happy to charge me an arm and a leg to deal with the process, however in principle I think it should be quite manageable by myself.

Does anyone have experience of dealing with this?

Specific questions:

- Do I need to book a place in quarantine in advance? How much does this cost? What are the conditions like?

- How long will the quarantine period be? I've heard times from 0 ("home quarantine") to 30 days

- Where is the relevant department at the airport? Do I need to make any other pre-arrangements with them?

Any other insights welcome.

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • New Members

I bought a cat and took it out of China back to the states. I just filled out all the necesary paper work and had him fully updated on all his medical and it was fine, no quarantine. I was really nervous that they were going to kill him or something, but he just looked at it and said "nice cat, have a good day"

So having gone through the process - time to update for future pet owners :)

In Singapore, did all the paperwork, health check. Check in at SQ, someone came and took her away on a trolley.

In Beijing, picked the cat up next to the baggage carousel - a lady was waiting for me there. After going through customs scanner and just before exiting the arrival area, there is a small office which deals with quarantine issues. Filled in the paperwork and paid 60RMB the cat was taken to the quarantine facility in Shunyi (near the airport). We picked her up a week later, and paid the 1000RMB fee for looking after her. All told super easy, but you need decent Chinese to manage. Cat was absolutely fine, the quarantine facility seemed nice / clean. We didn't have to book anything in advance on the Beijing side - just the place in cargo on the plane.

• Like 2