Chinese-Forums

Can I take food/baby milk through security after check in

pprendeville

Flying out Beijing Capital Airport tomorrow morning. Just wondering is it possible to bring food and baby milk powder through security after checking in? Very strict about these things flying out of Europe. 

I think you will be OK with quantities that are not excessive (in other words, what your children might reasonably be expected to use during the trip.) I couldn't find a Chinese regulation that spelled it out, but here is one from the UK, and I doubt that China is more strict than the UK on this issue.

Baby food and baby milk

You are allowed to take baby food, baby milk and sterilised water in your hand baggage. This includes:

• soya milk for babies
  • sterilised water for the baby (must be in a baby bottle)
  • formula, breast milk or cow milk specifically for babies
  • baby food of various consistencies

You are allowed to take enough for the journey. In some cases this may be over 100ml. The adult carrying the baby food or milk may be asked to verify it by tasting.

http://www.direct.go...theUK/DG_078179

I hasten to add that this is *not* something with which I've had personal experience.

Also, be sure to take the kids several cans of Red Bull. (Only joking -- you observed in an earlier post that young children are sometimes given "energy drinks" in China.) My personal idea of Transpacific Air Flight Hell involves three young tots "wired up" on such potions and running around noisily in the nearby aisles for all those hours while I try to sleep or at least rest.

• Like 1

I actually saw this in the Shanghai airport a couple years ago on the way back to the US......Chinese security confiscated some three year old kid's milk bottle even though she was halfway through the bottle by the time they reached the security checkpoint. Also members in my group had their US security approved quantities taken away at checkpoint even medications. I think they were carrying 3.5 oz quantities when the Chinese will only approve 3 oz or less. And all this in spite of the fact they had papers showing they were meds.

I really think the Chinese side is far more stricter than what the UK or the US stipulate.

• Like 1

Turned out I had no problems with the milk anyway. Managed to even get a few bottles of water through. The main issues was with the double buggy. Took a while to get that through. I guess customs are not used to seeing double buggies and hence suspicion is aroused.