Chinese-Forums

pronunciation usage of zhe4/zhei4 這 and na4/nei4 那

LaoWai

Well, I think these two examples are different. I.e. zhei4 is I think a variant of zhe4, and you can really use it in colloquial chinese to sound more natural, much like shei2 and shui2. But na4 and nei4 are completely different words function-wise. nei4 functions as an adjective with a measuer word after it. While na4 can function as the subject, object or whatever. Remember na4 is independent, nei4 is not.

Ok, thanks for the correction, you saw it zhei and nei both need to be used before measure words and nouns. e.g. 這個人, the only difference between the uses of the two? You can say zhe4 ge5 ren2, but you cannot say na4 ge5 ren2, it should be nei4 ge5 ren2.

but you cannot say na4 ge5 ren2, it should be nei4 ge5 ren2

Are you sure? I think people say both nàge rén and nèige rén. I'm not sure about the relative frequency and geographical distribution of each pronunciation. That would be interesting to know.

I remember once reading in a textbook that the zhèi and nèi pronunciations were preferable in fornt of measure words. But whenever I've asked Chinese people about this, they've always told me I can use either without any difference.

IVYtony, where does this tone change come in? I was unaware that there was a tonal change here. Nevertheless, I learned it that you don't use nei4 for the subject or object, but this may not be as concrete as my book makes it out to be, so maybe I am wrong here. But my book is clear that nei4 is for measure words and na4 is for subject-object purposes.

Nipponman