Chinese-Forums

Food Translations and Food questions

Hann

Can anyone help me with these food items. I will add to this list as we go along.

Also, what food do locals (Chinese/Taiwanese) enjoy when they travel to non-Asian countries?

okay the start of the list ( please tradtional characters, and/or pinyin)

shortening

baking powder

baking soda

oregano

cumin

Thanks in advance for the help

If by shortening you mean lard, than I think that 豬油 is the best term.

Baking powder: 焙粉

Baking Soda: Not sure, 蘇打粉?

Oregano: There are probably many variations for this, but last time I went to Subway I got oregano bread and they transliterated as 奧力岡

Cumin: 孜然,小茴香

Don't worry, the Chinese eat everything under the sun, although I have found that stinky cheeses, olives in brine, and chummus sometimes don't go over too well.

Thanks you guys are a huge help. Here are some more.

bay leaf

basil

pesto

dill

nutmeg

rosemary

sage

thyme

And i know in taipei they try everything for sure but in the smaller towns some of the stuff is too outside the box. Walk before we run

I remember seeing pesto somewhere as 鬱something醬, but I don't remember what the middle character was. Basil is 九層塔, I wouldn't worry too much about the names of the spices, if you go shopping in Taipei, or even in any well stocked hypermarket such as Carrefour, they'll have the spices there with the labels in English and Chinese, so you'll be able to get the names of the spices there.

I want the food for writing menus not for buying as they are often easy enough to find yet some are next to impossible.

And i meant, what non-asian food do taiwanese/Chinese enjoy.Ha ha...Hong Kong food doesnt count

And Happy New Year everyone

bay leaf 月桂樹葉

basil 罗勒

pesto 香蒜沙司

dill 蒔蘿

nutmeg 肉豆蔻

rosemary 迷迭香

sage 鼠尾草

thyme 百里香

Chow Mian (Fried noodle) 炒麵

Fried rice 炒飯

Orange Chicken 橙子鷄(?)

Sweet and sour ribs 糖醋排骨

rib soup 排骨湯

crabs 蟹

When I first arrived in Taiwan, I had a roommate from Honduras, where every last dish is made from cornmeal. He essentially told me that were it not for his well connected diplomat friend who managed to have some personally imported, he would never be able to get his hands on it. Good luck.