Chinese-Forums

Wholegrain bread - where to buy in Haidian, Beijing

pprendeville

Going be in Beijing next year and am wondering where I might buy what I would call proper bread, i.e. wholegrain sliced or loaf or even in bagel form, not the sweet refined stuff. Going to be in the Haidian area. 

Give 馒头 a chance!

Where in Haidian are you going to be?

There is a supermarket near the Wudaokou subway station that has imported food. They might have wholegrain, sliced bread. It's a big store, seems to do good business, should still be there next year. If you head east of the subway station, it's on the south side of the street (across the street from the Wudaokou movie theater; it's located on the underground floor of the shopping center.)

Good luck!

馒头 is not too bad (the purple one anyway, I don't like the white one) especially when dipped in 西红柿鸡蛋 and other dishes. Still, I'd like to be able to get my hands on the wholegrain stuff. It usually acts as a buffer to prevent diarrhea (not sure how but it works). Going to be in either BLCU or Minzu next year. Not sure if I'll stay in dorms or rent off campus.

I tried making bread here a few times and made a balls of it. Got a link to those ovens. Chinese not good enough to navigate TaoBao and wife has hands full here with the kids.

Got a link to those ovens
not at hand no, it's more than a year since we bought it, so I doubt the same oven would still be there. Lot's of the ovens on taobao are small toasterovens, useless for baking (and other types of cooking) get one that is at least 2000watts and a decent size.

Note. there is also the concept of breadmakers, I am not too familiar with them and I would personally not chose one over an oven. I did see a TV Shop commercial for one recently where they were cooking all sorts of stuff in a breadmaker. (things that could be done on a wok or steamer)

My girlfriends mum uses one of these breadmakers and makes really nice bread. (she is chinese and does this in china) I can ask what brand she uses.

It usually acts as a buffer to prevent diarrhea (not sure how but it works).

Wholegrain stuff is allways better for your digestif system. (bread, noodles)

I do have a bread oven, but its not that easy to find whole-grain flour, so I simply bought lots of bran (maifu) and add it to the flour mixture! Even if you find so-called quanmaifen in the supermarkets, it has essentially NOTHING to do with actual whole-meal flour.

I was a huge bread-lover before I came to China and Iater found out I was gluten intolerant~

To my experience Paris Baguette and all similar bakeries don't have "real" bread. (Bread to me has no sugar and no egg. If you want egg and sugar in your white bread there's plenty of bread in all supermarkets.) I did find one in Tous Les Jours in Wudaokou that was quite okay though, a bit dark, around 12 RMB, on the top of the center shelf.

In Hualian (by the Wudaokou subway station) there's a supermarket where you can find packaged pumpernickel bread, etc. All of them come in this format:

2utiw06.jpg

Also there's a South Germany Bakery: http://www.germanbakery.com.cn/ ... but it's not Haidian.