Chinese-Forums

Work residence permit to study resident permit

notia2000

• New Members

Hi Guys

I have entered China on a Z visa and I have converted that to a residence permit now that I've saved up enough money from teaching English I want to study Chinese for a while. Do you know how difficult it is to convert a residence permit you obtained from working to a residence permit for studying? Do I have to leave China or can I get the documents from my University and get it done here.

Cheers,

If your current residence permit has enough time left, why don't you just leave the situation alone since you will still be here legally, even though the purpose of your stay will have changed. Ask your university, of course, to be sure that's OK with them. They are the only ones who can really answer your questions.

If they insist that you must convert to a study visa (X visa) and then have that turned into a residence permit issued for study reasons, you can probably do that without leaving China, since it's very similar to converting a tourist visa (L visa) in a similar process.

Having said that, please keep in mind the the whole visa business has been turned on its head in the last few months, the first round of changes arriving this spring and the second round just earlier this month. What used to be true is no longer necessarily still valid.

People who respond by saying, "I did it like this a couple years ago" cannot really answer your question. It's now a new ball game and the rules are much stricter.

Tsinghua told me I would have to go to Hong Kong to change my VISA from Z to X.

They said something along the lines of that if I had arrived in China on an L they could have changed it. If I had arrived on a Z they think they could have changed it. As it is, I arrived on one visa then changed it to another. They could not change it a second time.