Chinese-Forums

My favourite Jay Chou song is...

bluepoppy

I have some Mainland friends who feel that Jay Chou 周杰倫's music is not 'Chinese' enough, that his music is in a 'Western' (whatever that means) style.

I am curious to know whether people that don't like his music here dislike it for similar reasons, i.e. you take issue with his image, mvs and the production style of his music for being 'Westernized'; or whether you just think his music itself is no good?

Wame, 周杰倫 isn't famous in my country outside of the Chinese Community and other people that have been to East Asia. The majority of the UK music-listening public does not really buy music not sung in English at the moment. A lot of foreign music is very popular here, but only if it is sung in English, I am afraid to say.

• 2 weeks later...

@Bluepoppy - And mandarin students :P it is a real pity Jay isn't more popular here, he has more raw talent then any western singer I can think of

my favorite song is also Dongfeng po, though I can't understand almost all of it :(