Chinese-Forums

"Set in Lijiang"

abcdefg

I've been watching a popular and well done 电视剧 on CCTV Channel 1 every night at 8 and much of it seems to be set in and around ancient Lijiang 丽江. The name of it is 木府风云。Shows some Naxi 纳西族 customs of the time as well as plenty of palace intrigue.

Was trying to describe it to a Chinese friend recently and realized I didn't know how to make it clear that it was set in northern Yunnan. My friend thought I meant the series was actually shot in the Lijiang area. For all I know, It was really shot on a sound stage in Beijing except for some stock forest and mountain footage.

I usually say 拍成 (pāichéng) when I mean the movie was shot in a certain place. Dictionary also has 拍摄 (pāi shè) for that.

MDBG gave me this translation for "it was set in Lijiang:" 那部电视剧是设置在丽江。Better sentence structure would probably be 那部电视剧在丽江中设置. But does anyone know if 设置 (shè zhì) is really the best term for a film being set in a certain place?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. By the way, it's a pretty good show if you like the 武侠/古装 genre.

http://video.baidu.c...0&pn=0&db=0&s=8