Chinese-Forums

How to make a living in China

pl3xipl4y

Hello guys!

This is my first post on this, what it seems like, fantastic forum! And I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed. Couldn't find this information by the search engine, so I'll ask you guys this question(s):

I spent last summer in China, 1 month in Taiwan and 6 weeks in China mainland, most of the time in Shenyang.

Now I want to go back to China, since I'm studying Philosophy distance classes in Sweden, which means no required in real life meetings etc.

So I find it a good time just go to China and rent an apartment and study philosophy by using internet, and to learn more chinese of course.

The plans is to stay there around 3-5 months, afterwards I plan to apply for an university to learn more chinese.

So I would like to ask what kind of visa do I need? After few months in China when I've settled down in an apartment etc. Then I can "convert" my visa to a student visa or a residence permit?

And to make things more complicated: What if I get a job offer?

I have saved up with enough with money to stay in China for a very long time without need to have an income. But it feel nice to work and make a difference. (By the way, I'm 22).

Johan from Sweden

https://www.cambro.umu.se/portal

is the only link that I need access to. There I have all the class information etc.

So the question is: What kind of Visa can I get? Just to be there and live 4 months and then apply for chinese classes in a university few times per week? (So my visa can be converted to a temporary residence permit?)

If you study at a university you can get a student visa, simple as that. If you get a job offer and they are serious about wanting you, the company should be able to arrange a working visa for you.

So the question is: What kind of Visa can I get? Just to be there and live 4 months and then apply for chinese classes in a university few times per week?

I don't know about what visa terms are usually available for China visas issued in Sweden, but if the Chinese consulates there offer a one-year, multiple entry tourist (L) visa with duration of each stay specified as 90 days, that would be fine for your purpose.

Just before 90 days, you will need to go across to Hong Kong and get a new entry stamp (not a new visa -- just cross the border, turn around and come back.) If you would rather fly to South Korea or Thailand, that would work as well. Just need to exit China and re-enter.

Then when you start school, they can handle converting your tourist visa to a residence permit for purposes of study. This may involve a physical exam, but it's not a big deal. There is usually a fee, but it's been under 500 RMB when I've done it. (Can't remember the exact amount; I think it has varied from school to school.)

Add: Your Cambro portal opens from Kunming. I tried it just now. Did not need a VPN.

Keitha, are you swedish or do you just study distances courses from an university in Sweden?

Maybe the best solution is more or less 90days x 2, and then on my second visit in China I find an university that offer few chinese classes per week, so I can stay longer but also study philosophy distance courses from Sweden.

And also find a suitable apartment for 1500RMB/month or something.

Do you think this plan will work?

I really want to go back to China as soon as possible.

The city I'm interested to stay in is Shenyang, don't know why.. but I find it a good city.

#8 -- That plan should work. Applying for a one year tourist visa is no more trouble than applying for a six month one. And if you get it, you will have a "time cushion" in case your plans don't go exactly as hoped. I always apply for the longest time I think I might be able to get.

As to the Chinese language study part of your plan, consider a private school as well as a university. Some of them can grant student visas and will usually offer you more flexibility in what you study than a university. Not sure what private language schools are available in Shenyang; I have not looked.

Hopefully that plan will work. One curious question although; When I apply for a tourist visa, then I need to let them know about which hotels and how many nights etc? Right?

I plan to rent an apartment, but the contract will not be signed without I am there. So how can I prove that I will rent an apartment and not staying in hotels?

One curious question although; When I apply for a tourist visa, then I need to let them know about which hotels and how many nights etc? Right?

Right. There's a lot of very basic stuff you need to know about applying for a tourist visa. Read up on it via some general websites (maybe start here: http://gothenburg.china-consulate.org/eng/.) Then come back if you have more specific questions that you can't find answers to elsewhere.

I have read a lot now about the visa problem.

My final questions is: Does it take long time to convert the tourist visa to a student visa? Since I may apply for a 60 days X 3, so on my last visit I'll apply for the university or private school.

Thanks for the great help guys, I hope I'll enjoy my time in China and stay there for many years before returning home :)

• 2 months later...

I have been in China now for almost 2 months, it's soon time for me go to China to celebrate Christmas holiday with my family.

The first 2 months I have been living at friends for free, unfortunately I lost my phone the first week and bought a new one, bought a winterjacket and went to Guangzhou (Summerland...) and decided to stay here instead of Shenyang.

In Sweden I only got 60 days x 2 visa...

• 1 month later...

A new update from my new life in China.

I applied for to study in Yunnan Normal University, since I did some research and calculated the costs of the tuition fee and accommondation cost etc.

So I got approved.

So now to the problem:

My F visa is valid to 26/02. And the registration at the university is between 25/02-01/03.

So should I go to Hong Kong to get a new F visa? Since it's Chinese new year, so I expect that the local PBS has closed during the holiday (festival?).

I'm going to my friend's family house in the suburb for like 10 days before going back to Guangzhou. Then I'm free to prepare everything for the university life.

Suggest you ask the PSB if they can extend your current visa for an extra month. I was at one of the PSB branches (a neighborhood paichusuo) today and it was business as usual. You might have two or three more days before things shut down. By Friday it will surely be too late.

• 2 weeks later...