Chinese-Forums

Translation of crib notes written on an arm. From the Disney movie Mulan.

justhereforthetranslation

mulan+writes+on+arm.jpg

The above is an image of the notes on Mulan's arm at the beginning of the movie, where she is preparing for the matchmaker. I don't speak nor read Chinese, but I've been curious about whether or not the writing was actually accurate to what it meant in the movie. I'm aware that she says what it SHOULD mean as she's writing it, but I've just been wanting to make sure. I've asked around to my Chinese speaking friends and they said that it was more classical compared to what they actually know. I've looked around all over the internet and I haven't been able to find a good translation (I've even tried Reddit), so I've resorted to going to this site. If someone is able to actually translate this for me, I would be very grateful.

Please and thank you.

• Good question! 1

The line from the movie should read "Quiet and demure ... graceful, polite, delicate, refined, poised ... punctual!"

Here's my attempt below. I couldn't find 3 of characters and I'm not certain what I have is correct. Hopefully, someone else can help / confirm.

?静

??

守雅

时礼

From mdbg.net, I got these definitions:

静 = quiet

雅 = elegant

礼 = courtesy

守时 = punctual

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks guys. That's close enough for me. I basically needed someone to confirm it for me. But if someone were to be able to find the exact translation for each phrase, that'd be stupendous. I'm not expecting it, because you've already done enough, but it's just something that'd be cool.

• 5 years later...