Chinese-Forums

One-on-one class at Diqiucun

wan

Hi, thanks for all the good information in this forum.

This is my first post and need some advice.

I will be in Beijing in October for one month and plan to take one-on-one Mandarin class, intermediate level, at Diqiucun, Wudaokou. I sent them e-mail but no reply.

1. Is it possible to get the class by just registering after I arrived in Beijing? Will I definitely get the class?

2. Anyone ever take one-on-one course there? Can share the experience?

3. Any idea, better to take one-on-one class at Diqiucun or at One-on-one Mandarin School http://www.1on1mandarin.com/ ? Or any suggestions for other school around Wudaokou which offer one-on-one class?

Thanks a lot,

Wan

I sent them e-mail but no reply.

E-mail doesn't work the same way in China that it does in the western world. The school may have an e-mail account, but it's not uncommon for nobody to check it regularly. They may rely heavily on instant messaging, such as QQ or MSN.

If you really want to get in touch with them, you need to telephone. To reduce phone call costs, use a VOIP system such as Skype. Figure out the time difference and call when they are likely to be at work.

October is soon; you need to move ahead on this promptly.

• New Members

I don't have experience with Diqicun or 1on1mandarin.com, but I do live at Wudaokou and have had a fair number of lessons with 1-to-1 teachers here.

The prices on 1on1mandarin look really expensive. The average rate of an hour's tuition is around 50 RMB, going as low as 30/35 and upwards about 80. I personally wouldn't pay more than that.

You can probably find similar quality of teaching as in private classes for 60 RMB. Although I have had lessons before that were unstructured and came out of it learning very little. I'm now with a tutor helping me to prepare for HSK 5 and another for intermediate / advanced-ish writing, and both are excellent. PM me if you would like their details.

The easiest way to find tutors is probably by going to a few meeting points around Wudaokou area for adverts. The Bridge Cafe by Propaganda / Sensation is used a lot by Chinese tutors and has loads of ads, so do BLCU's canteen / various cafe's.

• Like 1

abcdefg, FlashZac, thanks for the advice.

FlashZac, yes, I need details of your tutors. I try to send PM but cannot find how to do it through this forum. If you don't mind, please kindly send their details to e-mail: b.wan45 at yahoo dot com

BTW, any advice about cheap accomodation at Wudaokou? I searched this forum already. My last choice is to stay at Hejia Hotel. I checked with elong, their current rate is 238 RMB per night, and if stay for one month it's very expensive. I hope I can find cheaper alternative. But I read it will difficult to rent an apartment if just for one month.

Thanks.

BTW, any advice about cheap accomodation at Wudaokou?

I have 3 suggestions:

1. Post the question on Thorn Tree Forums. Lots of budget travelers there know about inexpensive hostels and dorm rooms.

2. Beijing has several cheap, no-frills chain hotels (domestic, not international.) E-Long and C-Trip don't promote them. They are usually under 100 Yuan per night. Some examples are Home Inns, 7 Days Inn, Hanting Express, Jinjiang Inn, Motel 168, Xinyu, Super 8, and so on. Here's a link: http://english.51766.com/detail/article_detail.jsp?info_id=1101360916

3. If you decide to stay at the hotel you listed, (or any hotel for that matter) only book a couple nights to see how you like it. Then extend your stay if it is good. Bargain hard for a better long-term rate if you decide to do that. Doing it the other way around can be troublesome (In other words, don't book a whole month and then change your mind and check out after two or three days.)