Chinese-Forums

How to write a website in Chinese...?

Haoqide

I'm sure this has already been covered, but I couldn't find it in a search, so I thought I'd just ask it here. If it's already been answered, someone please point me in the right direction.

Ok, here's the question...

How does one write a website in Chinese (or translate an existing one)? I have a site (lame though it is) that I'd like to translate into Chinese as a learning experience. I don't know how to do it so that it displays the characters when people visit, though. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Haoqide

The Chinese text in your HTML pages will usually be in one of three possible encodings: GB, Big5, or Unicode. You have to specify in the <HEAD> section of your HTML documents the particular encoding you're using. For example, for Big5 encoding you would add this to the HTML code:

<HEAD>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="zh">

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=big5">

(...)

</HEAD>

content="zh" means that the page is in Chinese, and charsert=big5 means that the encoding is Big5. For GB, you would use charset=gb2312. and for Unicode charset=utf-8.

Those lines will make the browser identify the language and coding used by your page, so that people will see the right characters regardless of their operating system. Those who don't have Chinese fonts on their system would get a message saying something along the lines of "To view this web page correctly you need to install the language pack for Chinese (traditional)" or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Jose!

Let me make sure I understand this. I can use the XP IME (or whichever other method I choose to input Chinese characters) directly into my HTML editor, and as long as I specify UTF-8 in the <head> section, it'll show up correctly in peoples' browsers, right?

Thanks again!

-Haoqide