Chinese-Forums

Another 'Can I learn to speak Chinese without writing?' post

Shandongren

I woke up in a terror last night when I realized that Japan did not invade China in WWII.
Did you not here the sirens blaring throughout the entire country this morning at around 9 am?

The sirens were nothing to do with WWII, though. They were commemorating September 18th 1931.

• 8 years later...
  • New Members

i want to ask a question about this  subject. im just wondering your opinions. i work at tourism sector and i decided to learn chinese without writing and reading because i dont have much time for memorising chinese characters.i think here most people dont agree with me about this . for example there are people who dont  know reading and wriitng in all nations but they speak their language well and also if they want they go to some education centers and learn how to read and write after years.(even if they are old people).

in the example these people only speak chinese but no writing and reading but after years they learn how to write and read so why wouldnt i learn chinese in this way? what are u thinking?

Removed my post. It was redundant. 

@belmondo55 -- Everything that needs to be said about this question has alread been said in previous posts, in earlier parts of this thread and others. 

Another similar thread which rehashes the pros and cons: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/48237-can-i-learn-oral-chinese-without-learning-the-characters/?tab=comments#comment-366701

• Helpful 1