Chinese-Forums

Public transport apps (android)

Silent

I've downloaded and tried a few public transport/train apps. I feel however the results are disappointing. Oftentimes I find no results or I get results that are wrong and/or rediculous. A step by step approach sometimes helps. At least part of the problem is my limited knowledge of what stations to choose and the fact that many towns and cities have (near) identical names. I've the impression that also the absence of a direct connection and the limited set of connections in the app are important factors. Some examples that I've tried to figure out with at best modest results.

北京 - 蓟县/盘山

丹东 - 二道白河镇

So far I've got the best (least bad) results with 8684火车 and 爱帮公交。

What are your favorite transport apps?

Any tips and tricks on how to use them?

I never had the need for train apps while in China, but I did use subway apps. One of the apps I liked most was the one from Tsp Holdings. I only used the Beijing and Shanghai ones but they seem to have maps of all major citys subways.

Otherwise in Beijing you can also use google maps for public transport (still only subway and buses no trains)

Baidu maps all the way! maps.baidu.com/

It takes me everywhere, and the GPS is spot on, (somehow Google map always gets slightly northwest). You can download the maps for whole China and check them offline. For directions (public transport, walking, car and quite new turn by turn navigation), you'll need an active internet connection.

Possible drawbacks: chinese only.

• Like 1