Chinese-Forums

Improving reading by watching videos, encountering problems

Mekkalomp

Lately I have added another daily exercise to improve my reading skills.

I watch some videos and listen closely on what they are saying and try to match the spoken

language with subs. This helps me familiarizing and memorizing the common characters more easy.

But sometimes I encounter a word which I do not recognize. I can guess what it means but not so sure about it.

For example:

The word at 1:48 between the characters after 太 and before 了 I do not know。In pinyin I think its chuang ji. Do not know for sure my pinyin is bad. :wink: I tried google pinyin but couldn't make the word with pinyin. I don't even really know how the character exactly look likes.

How do you guys solve this?

http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/%E4%BC%A0%E5%A5%87/1302311

The quality of those subtitles is too rubbish, it would really help to find higher resolution contents.

If I find a word I don't know, and don't recognize the characters either, I usually look it up by pinyin in an online dictionary. Sometimes it takes a few tries (it's chuanqi), but it's usually faster than lookin up by radicals. For proper radical lookup, you need better subtitles.

If you watch western movies and TV programmes off of the Chinese internet they generally have Chinese subtitles, which you can check out to improve your translation skills.

I use Funsion, you have to download and install the viewer but the advantage is that you can both stream and download and keep movies at the same time.