Chinese-Forums

emergency return to my home country

keitha

I got my hand badly hurt in an assault here in Beijing and need to go back to Sweden to do surgery. We tried to find some chinese hospitals but they did not have any spots open for a surgery so the insurance company will send me back home. The thing is that they just called me and said they are trying to buy a ticket for tomorrow morning. So I am abit of a panic mode. I am looking through my stuff to find the papers I had with me when I arrived in Beijing... but no luck. Is the passport and the visa the only papers I need to go home for a week and return when the surgery is done? This might be a stupid question but I am not an experienced traveller. :)

Going home won't be a problem, but coming back might be depending on what kind of visa you have. If you have a single-entry visa, then you'll need to apply for a new one from scratch. If you have a multiple entry visa or a residence permit (which usually allows multiple entries), then no problem.

How did you get assaulted?

Deleted a number of off-topic posts. Discussion about assaults in China can go here (or the OP can start a thread specifically about this case if he's interested, or not if he's not). Discussion about masturbation techniques you can continue via PM if that's your thing.

@keitha, I think you might be confusing slightly the terminology for X-Visa and Residence Permit. The X-Visa is what gets you into the country and it needs to be converted to a Residence Permit (within 30 days of entry). The X-Visa is good only for a single entry, the Residence Permit is good for as many entries as you like during its period of validity.

If this has just been renewed, you should be good.

@keitha, I think the link is fine (and I'm sure people will be interested to know what happened), it's others who were being off-topic, and I didn't want those discussions to distract from the matter at hand, which is whether you'll be able to get back in to the country if you leave.

He is in surgery right now as explained in the first post, can't people show a little patience and optionally some sympathy? Additionally the mods have already declared the details off topic for this thread.

If you're not happy that I am not happy with those posts you can always vote down my post.

@keitha: hope all goes well and you have a prompt recovery.

Additionally the mods have already declared the details off topic for this thread.

For the record, the mods are more than happy for keitha to post the link to his story (which he originally did), it was more the following few comments that went way off topic and included a couple that were either mean-spirited or tasteless and had already accumulated several downvotes each that led to them being deleted.

Keitha saw my post (but possibly not the deleted comments) and maybe thought the link was the problem so removed it. Anyway, as the other posters have mentioned, he's either on a plane or in surgery at the moment, so please give him some space and time.

• Like 1

A quick recounting of the facts - he was in Sanlitun around 2am about to head back home, got some abuse from a group of random guys, walked away, and was then assaulted. If Keitha wants to repost his link or fill in more details he's welcome to, but that's the basics you need if you're concerned. I'll close this now as the original question has been answered. If you have any questions, or Keitha if you want to repost, there's this topic which is pretty relevant.

• Like 1