Chinese-Forums

Help! I am stranded in Hong Kong - have to return to the U.S. to get a China visa

Pengyou

I applied today for the visa to China - got into HK last night and was up early to go to the CTS office. I paid HK$2,600 for the super express service (nearly tossed my cookies to give up that money $$) and then at 6;30 got the news that I would have to return to the U.S. for the visa. Reasons? A couple possible...1. I have not been back to the u.s. since 2009 - they viewed that with a high degree of suspicious 2. I had a tourist visa extended 30 days during this October. 3. It seems like there is an extra stamp in my passport. Anyway, just wanted to add more info to the bonfire of other stories here - maybe it will help someone.

QUESTIONS: If I go to some other country in SE Asia - i.e. Thailand, Vietnam, is it possible that I will be successful at applying for a visa to get into China? I gather from reading many posts that China is tightening up the HK scene, as far as the visas is concerned. Any suggestions?

I was really looking forward to the spring festival so that I could go home...i don't mind going home but if I can go home during the spring festival I will have time to save up some $$ to make my stay more enjoyable. Now, the cupboard is pretty barren

Okay, first of all, my condolences for the >$300 you lost on the visa application.

To the point: HK is the toughest place on visa restrictions into China. You will definitely have better luck applying in other countries, though there is no 100% certainty that you will get it.

I think it's a good bet. Last time I entered China, I had been outside of the US for around 4 years. The Chinese po-po gave me the standard "is your passport fake?" and "you don't look like the person in this picture" beatdown after I got into China, but there were no real problems.

Sometimes, verbal insistance goes a long way.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that.

When I went last time (during summer) I used a visa service, I was kind of surprised when I got my passport back that I got the visa from the Shenzhen office and not the Hk office. But it went smooth, gave them my passport in the evening around 6 and got it back the next day after lunch. And it was way cheaper than 2600 Hkd.

At first I wanted to apply for the visa myself but then choose to go with a visa service because I think they know what to do where and when. Might be worth to look into visa services (unfortunately I am not at home for some time and can't give you the contacts to the one I used)

Good luck

QUESTIONS: If I go to some other country in SE Asia - i.e. Thailand, Vietnam, is it possible that I will be successful at applying for a visa to get into China? I gather from reading many posts that China is tightening up the HK scene, as far as the visas is concerned. Any suggestions?

China is tightening up the visa process everywhere.

I disagree with #2. From everything I've read and heard, other Southeast Asian Chinese consulates are even more difficult and restrictive than Hong Kong when it comes to issuing visas. Suggest that the OP also search this topic on some other forums.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I ultimately returned to the U.S. - partly because i was fed up with the visa situation but mostly because I was fed up with the school that I was working with. I found another job, waited for the invitation letter, and am now back in China, legally and happily employed.

• Like 1