Chinese-Forums

Soooooooooooooo Slooooooooooow

liuzhou

Of all the sites I regularly visit, without a doubt this is the slowest. What's up?

It took three minutes to get to the home page this morning. But I've noticed this problem over the last couple of months.

Direct connection or VPN makes no difference. Just slow.

Not that I'm in a hurry. Just thought you might like to know.

I've noticed the same thing BUT only for the past 2 weeks. My VPN is broken so I can't test "outside" of China.

For me, it's almost like the website "hangs" - it seems to be loaded but then the page doesn't show. Sometimes If I click refresh the page actually full shows up ... then does the refresh like I told it too and i'm back to waiting.

It doesn't matter which browser I use or computer. I've not tried a connection apart from that in my own apartment though.

Logged in users don't see ads, except for the sponsored links box on the front page

Yes, but the chinese-forums server doesn't know whether I am logged in or not until it checks for the appropriate cookie via my browser. It appears not to do this until after loading a load of stuff from Google.

Then even when I change pages within the forums, it goes hunting for Google again. I can see it doing it.

My above comment was more to say don't worry about using ad-blocking plugins with this site, because it's not going to have much of an impact. Google/facebook/twitter are used for other reasons besides ads though (search, analytics, login etc), which won't be blocked by any ad blocking stuff.

It might be possible to change this (a China specific 'skin' without such code), but you'd need to bring it up with roddy. Actually, you could try using the 'mobile' theme on your desktop to see if this makes a difference.

Google/facebook/twitter are used for other reasons besides ads though (search, analytics, login etc), which won't be blocked by any ad blocking stuff.

Ad Blocker for Firefox 11 blocks "Google Analytics Tracking Script" - is this the same thing?

It'll block the analytics (which tells things like which country the user is from, and what browser they are using and so on), but shouldn't affect anything to do with ad revenues.

Basically, feel free to use ad-blocking software if you want (I certainly do), it's not going to have an impact on the site.

You do realise that, under current EU legislation, you are legally required to inform visitors that you are using cookies (for any reason, including advertising, analytics or whatever)? On each page!

I spent ages making my website compliant.

FWIW, average page load speeds are not what they should be, but they're nowhere near three minutes, not even when you look specifically at China. There's something else going on there, and if your VPN doesn't fix it, then I don't know what it is.

At the moment I'm hard-pressed to find much time to post on the forums, let alone tinker with the innards. Apologies.