Chinese-Forums

Where should my parents stay in Beijing?

ChTTay

I am new to Beijing and don't really know it well at all. My parents are planning on coming next year and they are trying to find a 4 or 5 star hotel that has a good location - close-ish to the main sights and near to a subway station. However, they can't seem to find one. Most of them seem to be near the Airport or Hadian district.

I had a quick search but every hotel advertises a good location but few actually seem to have one.

Can anyone make any recommendations for the hotel (you don't have to have stayed there) or even the area?

Thanks for your help!

I have stayed in Westin Chaoyang (very close to a subway stop which is on the airport line IIRC), and the Howard Johnson close to the main railway station IIRC. Westin was great (I booked it via hotelclub at extremely low price like RMB400/nt). Howard Johnson was so-so but ok. Perhaps you could consider them.

I have also stayed in the Shangri-la. It is a fantastic hotel, but it is just too far from the city centre.

Red Capital Residence is certainly "very unique" if you pardon the solecism.

http://www.timeoutbeijing.com/venue/Hotels-Boutique/10242/Red-Capital-Residence.html

Another historic one here:

www.ywcagardenhotel.com.cn

Some more ideas here:

http://www.timeoutbeijing.com/features/Hotels/10948/Beijings-top-hotels.html

Dave Eggars stayed at The Opposite House when he came to Beijing. That is what is known as a 'boutique' hotel so full of design inspiration.

Hotel G is nice and offers a popular bar plus well-known sushi restaurant.

I think you should narrow it down by choosing one of these options:

- upmarket western style hotel

- something in a hutong or at least that looks like a traditional courtyard house

- something with a historical USP

- a fancy boutique hotel

Between Liangmaoqiao and Dongzhimen is the River View Hotel. Also at Liangmaqiao are the Kempinski and the Hilton. The place I work puts guests in them and I've been informed that they are all good.

At Sanlitun is the Zhaolong, but I've been told they don't speak English well, which could be inconvenient to your parents. The Opposite House is great but probably pricey.

I haven't stayed at any of these, all this is from hearsay. What you could do is walk around a bit in the neighbourhood you live in and see if you don't spot any hotel signs (and then check the rooms first, of course). Also try ctrip and elong.

Good luck! There is a lot of choice, really.

There's also a Hilton on Wangfujing, which is practically smack bang in the middle of everything. You might also consider the Beijing International Hotel, which is quite close to the main Beijing railway station, the subway, and is maybe a 30min walk from Tiananmen Square/Forbidden City.

Depending on how old your parents, a HuTong hotel may not be suitable. Many of these places are far from train stations, and you have to walk quit a bit to get to a street where you can get a cab.

In 2010, I stayed in the garden hotel http://www.huayuanfandian.com, which was very clean, right next to a subway station, and with a helpful staff. I remember I paid 350 yuan a night. I'm not sure what is their rate right now.

I've stayed at the Regent Beijing near Wangfujing, Dongcheng. It was pretty nice and the prices were decent for a 5 star hotel. Another option is The Peninsula Beijing (also 5 star). I haven't stayed there but it looked nice when I walked by it. In general, my suggestion for 1st time visitors is to stay around the Wangfujing Pedestrian Street area.

In general, my suggestion for 1st time visitors is to stay around the Wangfujing Pedestrian Street area.

This way they will have plenty of opportunities to drink tea with English speaking Chinese students. (Only joking. Do a search for more about the "Beijing Tea Scam" and warn your parents about it.)

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

I have sent The Regent, The Peninsula and The Hilton as suggestions (amongst a few others). As you can tell, they want a big western hotel rather than a Hutong :)

The Peninsula has already caught their eye.

Now I just need to convince them to get me a room for the duration! You know, so I am better able to guide them round Beijing, help them if they get into trouble etc :clap

Do a search for more about the "Beijing Tea Scam" and warn your parents about it

I am saving my list of scams and other nasties for later, I don't want to put them off.