Chinese-Forums

Internet Chat and Alternatives to Email

techie

Besides emailing have you guys tried the use of MIRC or IRC as a way of "real time" communication with others out there. Perhaps you can then test your premise by asking a few of the mirc people to send you email and tell you where you can write back.

Just a suggestion. I had lots of trouble until today thanks to "niubi" who put his thinking cap and remembered the steps he had taken in installing his Asian language into WindowsXP. That helped me set my MIRC which now allows me to input: read and write the chinese character.

Now a question: Is ICQ a good program to communicate with friends in China? Or is the Yahoo messenger as good?

Regards

Now a question: Is ICQ a good program to communicate with friends in China? Or is the Yahoo messenger as good?

I know many people use ICQ in Taiwan and Hong Kong. When I go to internet cafes in China, I mainly see this program called "QQICQ" or something like that installed on the computers. I'm not sure if that's compatible with the ICQ network.

[split this from a topic about email. Roddy]

The OICQ program is very popular indeed, and if you walk through an internet cafe you'll see almost everyone is using it. I've found that using it on a non-Chinese system is very difficult though, and never actually got it set up. The English version download didn't work.

Yahoo messenger is used by some, but again I can't get it to write Chinese on non-Chinese system.

MSN messenger is quite popular, especially the new versions that allow you to add photos and so on. MSN messenger has the advantage that you can write Chinese on non-Chinese windows, using the Microsoft IME - so that's the one I use I want to chat in Chinese.

I think Yahoo and MSN are becoming more popular, probably because their free email is more reliable than the Chinese alternatives.

Roddy

I use MSN to chat with a few of my Chinese friends. My boyfriend uses QQ and is too technologically ... disinclined ... to figure out how to get MSN to work. QQ refuses to run on my computer here as well. I can't figure out why it's so popular, as far as I can tell you have to pay for an account with it -- at least there's some nonesense about numbers that I don't quite understand. Apparently (according to my guy) people hack other people's accounts and steal their QQ numbers, and then the original owner can't just sign up for a new account ... or something. Sounds like a big hassle to me.

Yeah, I think there's a 2Y fee per month, which you can pay via SMS. That's probably the main reason for people moving away from it actually. I've also seen people selling 'valuable' QQ numbers in the same way they do with phone numbers.

Roddy

I use MSN to chat with a few of my Chinese friends. My boyfriend uses QQ and is too technologically ... disinclined ... to figure out how to get MSN to work. QQ refuses to run on my computer here as well. I can't figure out why it's so popular, as far as I can tell you have to pay for an account with it -- at least there's some nonesense about numbers that I don't quite understand. Apparently (according to my guy) people hack other people's accounts and steal their QQ numbers, and then the original owner can't just sign up for a new account ... or something. Sounds like a big hassle to me.

yep,that's happened! and MSN is not bad neither, one truth is, most of MSN users are employees of all kind of companies and well educated.

in china ICQ works too.

Yeah' date=' I think there's a 2Y fee per month, which you can pay via SMS. That's probably the main reason for people moving away from it actually. I've also seen people selling 'valuable' QQ numbers in the same way they do with phone numbers.

Roddy[/quote']

actually u didn't have to pay for it long ago, today some old users donot pay for it neither, but if u r a newbie, it's impossible. even u have to pay 2 yuan for a number.

i had better hang on to my number so i don't ever have to pay! aside from QQ (formerly known as OICQ), i also use ICQ, MSN, yahoo, and AIM messengers. QQ is not compatible with the ICQ network. as far as i know, i don't have any problems using chinese in any messengers.

[edit: I thought the Apple Mac discussion deserved it's own thread. Roddy]

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like using QQ indeed, it's mainly a mainland-Chinese-dominated software, nothing wrong with it, but then when I wrote down in the information box that I was from the Hong Kong Special Admin Region, it aroused suspicion. I forgot my QQ number...

• 11 months later...

Hey everyone...

I'm new to the whole QQ thing..

i've searched and searched, but i don't know how to sign up for a QQ account..

any help would be appreciated..

thanks very much~!!

you can use the email on my profile, or pm me

thanks again..

chronos..