Chinese-Forums

Beta Test a New Site - NewsinChinese.com

roddy

Just a brief thank everyone who has taken the time to drop by and add/correct words. I updated the database last night and was surprised to find us already at 137,000 entries. That translates into about 2000 new submissions over the past month or so.

Every little bit counts.

Best,

–david

• 9 months later...

Fantastic site, thanks so much for taking the time and all the effort in setting it up.

In regard to the actual content, it's quite advanced -- in fact, as a non native English speaker it might even be a bit of a challenge were it in English.

Is it possible to incorporate this site with other sites for Mandarin but for a beginner or intermediate levels?

I try to go word by word but when you do not understand 80% of it it's not that helpful :) Anyhow, great idea and thanks again!

Is it possible to incorporate this site with other sites for Mandarin but for a beginner or intermediate levels?

Hi Rose,

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by difficulty levels here. The annotation system annotates whatever text is fed into it. If Xinhua texts are too advanced, you can always try feeding easier documents directly into the backend engine at http://www.adsotrans.com.

if anyone wanted to put together a collection of more basic educational texts and/or resources and use the site resources and recordings with them I''d be happy to host the files, and could get voice recordings done if needed.

Unless the site is going to be heavily interactive though, there isn't really a need for us to host it. People are generally welcome to integrate Adso with other websites and services as long as their usage doesn't place a huge strain on the server. I have a few scripts on the server that customize output for particular sites, like the [pop=Chinese/zhōngwén]中文[/pop] popups here, so if you need to do anything special it never hurts to send a note.