Chinese-Forums

List of simplified characters that are older than their traditional counterparts

tooironic

Hi all. I'm looking for a list of simplified characters that are older (i.e. have been in use for a longer time through history) than their traditional counterparts.

I was talking with a Chinese friend the other day on QQ. He asked me why I was using such "ancient" characters as 繁體字. I responded by saying that they can't be that ancient if they're still in use in Taiwan and Hong Kong and anyway many simplified characters were in use before their traditional forms came into being. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can elaborate on whether I'm on the right track?

Cheers!

簡體字s are the result of 正體字s being simplified in a way that is inexplicable through rules of how Chinese characters had evolved. Consequently, many 簡體字s do not make sense from a pictographic perspective(visit this blog for information). What is equally worse is that dozens of sets of single-character homophones or similar-looking characters have been merged, for example 干 is now used for干(支),乾(燥), 幹(活), 后 for (皇)后, 後(來),发 for 發(展) and (頭)髮, 舍 for (屋)舍 and 捨(棄), 谷 for 谷(surname)and (稻)穀(visit this blog for more information).

These are the two major reasons why 簡體字s are ugly.

Perhaps I should have made it clear in my original post that I wasn't looking to ignite a debate on simplified versus traditional characters.

I'm just looking for a list of simplified characters which have a longer history of usage than their traditional counterparts...

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but this post might be useful.

It lists all simplified characters which existed in their current form before the simplification process (written exactly the same way, but not that some changed meaning in the process). I don't know which ones are older than their traditional counterparts, and I don't know of such a list, but common examples include 你/妳 and 云/雲. 么 is also older than 麼 according to wiktionary.

Beside 云、网、个 the only ones I can think of are:

从(從)

众(眾)

And actually 你 was not merged with 妳. The character "妳" is a recent invention just like "她" but fell out of popular usage in the mainland both due to government standardization and lack of need for the character. One reason is that with context it is almost always clear enough to determine the gender of a second person pronoun. Second is that it would become an unnecessary feature for a language that does not distinguish gender in such a way.

• 2 weeks later...