Chinese-Forums

Translation for a Tattoo

Theo Moore

I'm planning on ordering a translation done by the people here, who seem very talented at what they do (calligraphy and translation), but it costs $10 a pop, so I want to have a vague idea of what can be translated and what can't (I have questions about size and eloquence).

I've been planning on getting a Tattoo with a chinese inscription for a while now, and I was hoping if you guys could help me out. I'm looking for something that has no more than 4 characters. Really, the fewer, the better.

What I'm trying to do is translate the phrase

"My life - forever remembered" , or

"The only truly dead are those who have been forgotten."

"Leave nothing but footprints. "

Hopefully, you guys can understand the general idea of the phrases. I'm looking for a phrase (whether completely new or is a translation of the above) that is elegant, short, conveys the general meaning, and is pretty.

It would be easier if you can indicate the part of your life that you're most proud of....the part which you want other people to remember.

From the phrases you posted, I can think of a few which would convey the meaning.....and these you can frequently see in Chinese funeral parlors on top of the picture of the deceased.

The one I think best fit your description would be 浩氣長存. :conf

永垂不朽 and 浩氣長存 usually were used in very formal situation or to someone who is high officer or very important in politic or a model for people to follow,especailly for those people died for communist enterprise or country,such as you can find nearly every revolutionary communist being honoured by the two idioms in their funeral .

if what you want just about private feeling or memorization,i prefer to use "长驻我心" or "长在我心" or "永远在我心中",they mean you are living in my heart forever.

Thank you! These are very helpful responses.

I have a good idea of what I like. "Noble Spirit Forever Here" is nice, "Is Immortal" is much too pretentious for me.

I'll hand these ideas to a professional translator/calligrapher and relay back to you guys the results.

Thanks for the help.

Here's what the calligrapher of transname.com told me:

"Based on your description, I see what you mean, but the phrase you want "noble spirit forever there" , as you say is used in funerals, and in general refers to somebody who has passed away. I really don't think it's appropriate for a tattoo on a person who is alive and well."

So I was given this, along with what it means. Tell me what you guys think of the phrase and calligraphy! (I intentionally left the english translation out so you guys can figure it out, and so I can see if it was done right)

philtat.gif

It's kind of odd to use 浩氣凜然 on one's self. It will guarantee you some laughs from those who know Chinese. It describes someone being extremely heroic, noble, grand, confident, dignified, majestic, whatnot. It's too strong.

留下生命的记号 -- Lit. Leave life's mark -- is nice. Someone can compact it for him. or 生命足迹 (life's footprints) etc

Just a little heads up:

永垂不朽 could be translated into sexual slang as "tea-bagging".

"Tea Bagging is a form of oral sex where the male's scrotum is stimulated by the other person's mouth or tongue. It is practiced by both heterosexual and homosexual couples. In one variation the male squats over his partner's mouth and dips his scrotum in and out of his/her mouth."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_bagging

Theo, I am curious about why do you want a tattoo in a language that you obviously do not understand?

Secondly, have you thought about:

臭名遠洋

“Your essence/name/reputation can be sensed through out the sea/world”

How are you reading it? The english translation they gave me is fairly nice, and it's a reworked version of the ones you guys offered "Noble Spirit Forever There".

It's a positive term, only too strong. It's like saying "I am majestic and awe-inspiring" in English.

It's odd that the translation is ambiguous, especially since it seems to be from a reputable company.

I have thus modified it to another saying "noble spirit inspiring solemn respect" which is also 4 characters long. The characters are arranged from top to bottom:

1=pronounced in Mandarin HAO, in Cantonese HOU

2=pronounced in Mandarin QI, in Cantonese HEI 1+2 =noble spirit

3=pronounced in Mandarin LIN, in Cantonese LUM

4=pronounced in Mandarin RAN, in Cantonese YIN 3+4=inspires solemn respect

Continue with your analysis! I'll be sure to take up my concerns.