Chinese-Forums

I need to know more about this forum (I'm new here)

Speedy9199

Hello, I'm still pretty new here and I am really want to learn more about chinese being an American Chinese myself. Before I start becoming more of a member here I need to know somethings. In the past I have signed up for language learning forums and they have been terrible experiences. I need a very truthful answer to this and not something I "want" to hear.

Does this forum bash/attack people for the method of teaching people? I see a lot of forums do this and it would be a shame if this forum did because I learn nothing from forums when this happens. Will I be bashed/attacked by people on this forum for having trouble learning or making mistakes(sometimes over and over again)? The entire forum might not do this but sometimes there is a person that will tell me to do something and if he feels "ignored" he will attack me and the person will do it constantly until I do what he says. Sometimes I just can't do what the person says or I want to learn it in a different way and that is "unacceptable" to them. This is not fun at all or a good learning experience. Is there anyone known to do this on this forum? I of course know there are rules for every forum but no one really follows them usually... I know not every forum is perfect but I hope this forum has a good learning experience and a better one than some other forums.

One more thing, does this forum have professional teachers/tutors that have worked in real life and not just the internet? Knowing this, I feel safer on this forum with people with experience in real life.

I can assure you that this is the most comfortable forum you have ever run into. You will feel like writing in it all the time.

Just kidding (you will understand shortly if you pay attention to people's signatures). In general, forum members here are very well-behaved and you don't need to be worried about bashings or attacks. Just don't take the occasional sarcastic remark personal and you'll be doing just fine!

Ok thanks and I assume you are telling the truth but I don't understand "Just kidding (you will understand shortly if you pay attention to people's signatures)." Does that mean sometimes people act "crazy" here once in awhile? Please can you clarify? I feel kind of stupid asking that but I need to be sure.

Crazy people get banned and posts that serve no purpose other than to attack another person get deleted (usually).

Having said that though, criticising an idea is a normal part of any healthy discussion, so be prepared to back up any claims you make with evidence otherwise you're likely to be called on it.

Also, be prepared to do your own research and thinking before you post. People who don't do that tend to get short shrift, for example, you are not the only Chinese American interested in Chinese who has decided to come and post here and there are already dozens of threads discussing the problems faced by such learners. Before you ask a question, search the forum to see if there are any existing threads that already answer your question. Make sure you read them and if you still have questions ask them in the relevant thread. If you decided they don't answer your questions, start a new thread but mention that you've read the other ones and state why they don't answer your question. That lets people know not to just point you to those same threads.

People here are generally friendly, more so to people who show that they are willing and able to help themselves.

I assume you are telling the truth but I don't understand

Don't worry, it's nothing bad, and you'll come to understand in time :mrgreen:

I don't understand. Why should anyone assure or advise the OP that forum members are friendly, helpful and / or knowledgeable? Or otherwise? I think people are free to visit the forums and observe how the members behave so they can judge for themselves. IMO the OP's posts make no sense, unless he/she is paying for the service of the forums.

• Like 4

Does this forum bash/attack people

Not generally. But if you charge into a forum making wildly inaccurate statements about the Chinese language, people who know what they are talking about are going to point that out. That isn't bashing or attacking. It's honesty.

As Skylee says, read some threads then decide for yourself if you think people are being unfairly attacked.

If I do say something I thought is correct about Chinese and it is actually wrong, will I be kindly corrected by people? I really wish for this because of often mistakes I tend to do. I will try do to research ahead of time, but I find it better if an actual person tells me something than just reading things on my own like wikipedia(which is not always accurate/truthful) and I also want people opinions.

Also about reading the threads ahead of time, sometimes there are just too many threads to read. I want people's direct opinions that go on this forum on what they think about this forum.

Thank you all for helping me and I will look into this forum more. :D

If I do say something I thought is correct about Chinese and it is actually wrong, will I be kindly corrected by people?

You may be corrected, but don't expect people to treat you like a special flower. How people respond to you will generally be determined by how you present yourself. If you are being an idiot, people will treat you like an idiot. If you are rude to others, expect a certain level of rudeness back. Conversely, if you treat others with respect, then they will generally do the same with you, and if you come across as someone trying to learn, then people will generally try to help you learn.

That being said, this is a moderated forum, so you'll not really get people outright flaming you and if you do, those posts will probably be deleted.

I will try do to research ahead of time, but I find it better if an actual person tells me something than just reading things on my own like wikipedia(which is not always accurate/truthful) and I also want people opinions.

People in general are usually willing to help those who have already tried to help themselves, and less willing to help those who expect everything to be given to them. Compare for example asking the following questions:

1) What does this sentence mean?

2) I'm trying to understand a sentence, I think it means this, but I'm not sure what the purpose of that middle word is, can anyone please explain its function here?

The first question may get you a useful reply, but it may also just get people telling you to try a dictionary because there's no indication that you've made any effort to try to understand it by yourself, and if you aren't prepared to put in any effort, why should you expect others to do that, it's also unclear what parts of the sentence you don't understand.

The second question shows that you've tried to figure it out by yourself but got stuck on something, or aren't 100% sure of something and want confirmation, and is more likely to generate useful and helpful replies. People can see you've made an effort, and are more likely to put in effort in their reply.

In summary, if you want a higher likelihood of helpful replies, let people know what you already know and the results of any research you've already done, and be specific about what your problem is.

• Like 3

If I do say something I thought is correct about Chinese and it is actually wrong, will I be kindly corrected by people? I really wish for this because of often mistakes I tend to do. I will try do to research ahead of time, but I find it better if an actual person tells me something than just reading things on my own like wikipedia(which is not always accurate/truthful) and I also want people opinions

I don't think asking any more questions about this forum is going to teach you anything about it. No one in here can speak on behalf of everyone who choose to respond to threads elsewhere in the forum. You just have to start using the forum. If you like it, you stay, if you don't like it, you are free to leave.

That is how things work in real life as well. If you want to see if you fit in with a group of people, you don't go up to them and ask them: "will you treat me nicely if I choose to hang out with you? I need to know before I potentially go out for a cup of coffee with you." You introduce yourself, get to know each other and see if you are compatible.

That being said, this in one of the friendliest online communities I know of. There's a reason why I keep coming back. I promise you'll quickly learn to live with liuzhou's snark :mrgreen:

• Like 1

In all honesty, I hate it here. I think most of us do. It's absolute torture posting here. The only reason we're still around is that we've all been blackmailed by roddy. You're lucky you have the choice, unlike the rest of us. Get out while you still can.

• Like 3

Speedy, you're worrying too much.

Out of all the online forums I've seen in my days, this one is among the few most polite and mature ones. It is mostly free from childish macho flame wars the Internet is known for.

Just read around, and post politely and explain your situation and thinking clearly, and you'll have a great time here.

Yes, we have a few professional teachers and tutors in here who teach in real life but we don't come in here very often because the our needs are different from learners who tend to post in here. I used to come in here a lot as a student but now I come in here maybe once a week, maybe less, and that's when I am looking for teaching resources.

In my case it's photographic evidence of some serious misuse of the wrong 的/地/得.

Hoffman I think 10 years ago deployed a now discredited alternative stroke order on a calligraphy scroll.

And Imron, well, Roddy knows which one of the Eight Immortals he actually is.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
And Imron, well, Roddy knows which one of the Eight Immortals he actually is.
Ah, so we have our own set of Eight Immortals here..roddy, imron, skylee, .........