Chinese-Forums

Unclear Use of 有

Thomill

人 is implied here. There are actually two very common constructions here.

1) 有...吗? Are there any...?

2) The use of 的 without a following noun. This can happen anywhere where the implied noun is clear from the context. For example:

这里有很多人,有胖的,也有瘦的。

我饿了,你有吃的吗?

你这狗娘养的。

• Like 2

I agree with #6.

As to #8, I am not sure I understand Kaxia. But I would think that 有人去的嗎? would be used in a situation where the speaker thinks that nobody goes to a certain place because it is dangerous/ uninteresting/ remote or the season/time does not seem right.

I would agree with #2. Not sure how it fits into the context of #3, but perhaps it could be:

有去参观城堡的(人)吗? (On a typical tour of the city,) are there people who goes to see the castle?

If two are discussing places to see and one is suggesting the castle, I'd expect something like

(我们)去参观城堡,吗? Let's go see the castle, shall we?

城堡有人去吗? = 有人去城堡吗? Is anybody going to the castle?

For me, 城堡有人去的吗? is a different construction, which is 城堡是有人去的吗? with 是 omitted (which is acceptable grammar), meaning "Who goes to the castle?" with emphasis on 有人去 (Who?) i.e. "What kind of person goes to a place like that (the castle)?"

This is from Rosetta Stone 4.1.5

To be honest, if you're serious about learning Chinese, you'd probably be better off with a decent textbook rather than Rosetta Stone. As @anonymoose mentioned in #6, these are quite basic constructions, any good textbook will explain them and others in detail.