Chinese-Forums

你家房子拆是不拆!

enaskitis

你家房子拆是不拆!

That's a phrase hurled at a home-owning family by a 黑社会人员 who works (along with 30-50 others) for a 开发商。 It comes from the subtitles of this

(0.48). I don't understand the 拆是不拆 syntax. Thanks for you help.

I don't think it's a proper shortening, but it might acceptable in some forms of regional speech. It might be a mistake in the subtitles, as you say. (The subtitles themselves actually seem to be a descriptive message of the events of that day, or possibly a news report narrative, rather than a translation of the actual speech in the video.)

Thank you all! Maybe this shortening is compounded by the fact that in this specific case 拆 and the missing 还 have the same -ai diphthong ending. Anyway, when inputing this sentence on the keyboard, the IME doesn't recognize/propose 拆是不拆; instead, being clueless, it proposes the incongruent 差事不拆。

Maybe this shortening is compounded by the fact that in this specific case 拆 and the missing 还 have the same -ai diphthong ending.

I don't think so. This structure (regardless of whether or not verb in question ends in -ai) is not uncommon - at least not where I used to live in Hebei. This video was from Hebei also, hence the reason I figured to be a regional thing. If others say it's proper and clear elsewhere too, then I would take that over the output of an IME which though mostly good is still prone to mistakes.