Chinese-Forums

Taking the PSAT as a Chinese citizen w/ greencard

sandd

Just made an account around a minute ago to ask these questions, and thanks in advance for any replies.

I'm a high school junior who took the PSAT this past October. Apparently, the PSAT requires the applicant to either be registered as a US citizen, have a greencard, or have filed an application for permanent residence that has not been denied. The guidelines also state in some versions (it's rather ambiguous) that an applicant with a greencard must intend to apply for citizenship at the earliest time possible.

Apparently, I've been eligible for a year or so. Would the fact that I've been eligible for a year disqualify me from becoming a semifinalist in the PSAT, as pertaining to the "earliest possible time" clause mentioned above? I'm fairly sure my scores are above the threshold, and it'd really be a shame if my legal status prevented me from qualifying. =[

The obvious solution would be to apply for citizenship. However, as I'm under 18 yrs old, my guardian would have to apply for citizenship with me, thereby losing his Chinese citizenship---and this is the dilemma. My dad's a staunch Chinese patriot, loves his homeland more than anything, and feels that losing his Chinese citizenship would be like losing his sense of identity. But he's willing to give up his citizenship if it'll give me an advantage in the college application process, which truly breaks my heart. I'm much less attached, and I'd have no problems with US naturalization myself (in fact, I'll probably go through the process when I'm 18), but I'm questioning whether it's necessary for my dad to give up his citizenship.

Also, is it in any way possible for my dad to gain dual citizenship? I'm guessing no, but I thought I'd try the community here.

Sorry for the over-long post.

I'm a high school junior who took the PSAT this past October. Apparently, the PSAT requires the applicant to either be registered as a US citizen, have a greencard, or have filed an application for permanent residence that has not been denied. The guidelines also state in some versions (it's rather ambiguous) that an applicant with a greencard must intend to apply for citizenship at the earliest time possible.

Can you upload a copy of these guidelines you mentioned? US citizenship was not required when I took the PSAT many years ago, nor was it required for the National Merit Scholarship.

Here's the text from NationalMerit.org:

To participate in the National Merit® Scholarship Program, a student must:

• take the PSAT/NMSQT® in the specified year of the high school program and no later than the third year in grades 9 through 12, regardless of grade classification or educational pattern;
  • be enrolled as a high school student, progressing normally toward graduation or completion of high school, and planning to enroll full time in college no later than the fall following completion of high school; and
  • be a citizen of the United States; or be a U.S. lawful permanent resident (or have applied for permanent residence, the application for which has not been denied) and intend to become a U.S. citizen at the earliest opportunity allowed by law.

I think in your case, the earliest opportunity to naturalize by law is when you turn 18. Currently, if what you say is correct, you are not eligible because you are a minor and cannot apply for naturalization by yourself.

Don't worry too much. This is a matter for you to certify yourself. PSAT is not going to have access to your immigration records.

That depends. Could you currently naturalize by law if your father didn't agree to also become a citizen? The answer is no, therefore you can't legally do so if he doesn't want to, and therefore it's not yet the earliest opportunity so long as your dad decides not to give up his Chinese citizenship.

To be honest, I have no idea about this situation, but based on what you've said, then logically, if your dad disagrees, it's not possible for you to become a US citizen until you're 18. That being the case, it seems the solution is just to make sure your dad disagrees with becoming a US citizen (and from what you've said it basically sounds like he does anyway). After all, there is nothing in the requirements about compelling your family members to become US citizens too.

I'm just not sure how rigid the requirements are. I guess I would explain my situation in the letter, and express my intention to become a citizen at 18? If so, that would be ideal. Apart from scores, it really shouldn't be that difficult to actually legally qualify as a semifinalist, so I'm most likely just needlessly worrying and making a lot out of nothing. I think my dilemma's been mostly dissipated, so thanks for all your help.