Chinese-Forums

Chinese text in AIM

legaia

First off, my computer is XP Pro, the standard English version. I have an input editor for Chinese, and it works just fine for MS Word, notepad, and I've got NJStar on here, too. However, when I try to add Chinese characters to AIM, they just show up as "?" or the hex just converts to strange gibberish. I assume it's just encoding it wrong. The funnier thing is, I can see most Chinese characters if someone sends them to me! Any suggestions about what I can do? Do I need another version of AIM, or a different input editor? Now for something completely different?

Thanks.

海珂琳

"AIM doesn't support multibyte characters, so you can't really type Chinese on AIM. I always use MSN messenger to IM in Chinese."

That clearly can't be the case. My friend was typing Chinese on AIM on her computer, and I could even see it (most of the time). It's possible she is using GAIM or Trillian. I will have to double check, but I'm 99% sure she's using AIM.

That clearly can't be the case. My friend was typing Chinese on AIM on her computer, and I could even see it (most of the time). It's possible she is using GAIM or Trillian. I will have to double check, but I'm 99% sure she's using AIM.

It could be because she has some translator that converts multibyte characters into single byte characters for AIM to transmit. NJStar automatically displays any combinations of single byte characters that look like Chinese characters into Chinese characters. That could be why you can see Chinese in AIM. I bet if you turn off NJStar, the characters will look just like gibberish.

So, if you've ever played around with Windows, you'll eventually find where stuff is stored, for example, your profile. If you have hidden folders available for viewing, you can see this:

C:Documents and Settings<Windows login name>Application DataAim<screen name>info.html

From there, you can edit this file in some text editor. The important thing is to have the font lang set to "33", which is apparently Chinese, probably simplified ("0" is English). From there, the Chinese characters need to input as GB (I did this by pasting "as GB" from NJStar). I believe unicode would work, too. The other way to get the Chinese in there, is probably this "hard input" everyone is talking about, but this might be an operating system issue. But, my method should be doable no matter what OS you use, so long as you can convert to GB. There might also be a website out there that will spit out GB for you.