Chinese-Forums

Is overcharging common in China?

pazu

You do get expat bars around the world where the prices are much higher than standard local prices to keep the locals out.

I guess the overseas Chinese prefer to lower prices to encourage other Chinese to come in, whereas expat westerners abroad prefer to raise prices to keep the locals out (I know it's a gross generalisation, but I have experienced both forms of behaviour).

I personally don't have a problem with this kind of behavior.

If two people from one country that have not known each other before meet in another country, they tend to be much closer than they would be under comparable circumstances in their home country. So, a Chinese getting a discount in a Chinese-run restaurant is like a personal friend receiving a discount from the shop owner.

Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but from my experience of studying among different groups of exchange students, I noticed that regardless of hobbies and interests, there is always a bond uniting people from the same country (similarly, from the same language & cultural background, as with Austrians and Germans.)

Additionally, I also don't have a problem with having to pay more than the locals do at, say, a market. Here in Russia, for example, many museums have to sets of prices, one for Russians and one for foreigerns. And, while I of course try to get the cheaper, Russian ones, I think it understandable to pay a higher price, as I come as a foreigner to experience a different culture, while Russians are trying to learn about their own culture.

If then in addition I think of what 5 yuan buy for me, in Europe, and what they buy for the Chinese farmer in China who is trying to overcharge me by this amount, I don't feel all that bad paying too much...

I know about this feeling closer to someone from the same culture, and I understand the reasons behind the free tea for Chinese. I just don't think it's fair. For one thing, if it would be the other way around, a Dutch restaurant charging non-white costumers more, it would be all over the news. And for another thing, I have overseas Chinese friends telling me I'm more Chinese than they are. Ping shenme they don't give me free tea even if I can order in fluent Mandarin and eat with chopsticks??

Ping shenme they don't give me free tea even if I can order in fluent Mandarin and eat with chopsticks??

Everyone can use chopsticks these days...

You'd probably get further if you spoke to them in Cantonese or Hakka, I think the waiters in Holland are more likely to speak that than mandarin.

Some Chinese restaurants don't even offer perks like free tea but actually they have two sets of menu.

Some Chinese restaurants in US advertise set meal at Chinese newspaper, i.e. Sing Tao. So when Chinese customers come and talk with the Chinese waiters, they ask for the menu of the set meal which is printed in Chinese only.

If non-Chinese customers patronize, that menu is not available.

And curiously Chinese restaurant is staffed by Chinese waiters and waitresses only.

In the netherlands Madarine is not the MAIN Chinese language. Its more Cantonese and then Wenzhounese. Hakka is not common. Madarine is "universal" chinese language, used only when chinese people cant communicate in Dutch, Wenzhou or Cantonese.

You cant put a African in a Asian restaurant... Ian.. Its quite obvious...

But the bloody point you will get discount when you go there often, or you are (with a) chinese. And besides we chinese in netherlands are being teased by non chinese people for example.. "sambal bij?(Want some spicy crap?)" (A Standard sentence when you are taking away). Or Haaievinnesoep (Sharktailsoupe) is just eggsoupe. Its just a minor discrimination/tease.

Hakka is not common.

Ah, but that is why it's so special. Lots of the Chinese in Holland came originally from the New Territories in Hong Kong, so they naturally speak Cantonese but some of them can also speak Hakka.

The waiters in the Huang Shang Huang (sorry, forgot the English name), the restaurant I'm talking about, all seem to speak both Cantonese and Mandarin. They'll try Cantonese first though.

And Chappie, I think it's totally stupid if people say things like Sambalbij and Chingchangchong to Dutch, or any overseas, Chinese. Pure discrimination, or racism if you want, and ignorance also.

Ok, suanle ba. I know why this overcharging happens, and it's not going to change just because I get angry over it. Only thing I can do is learn even better Chinese (maybe even Cantonese someday) and tell the waiter off. That worked for a tongxue once.

Chappie:

In US, if you go to an Italian Restaurant, the waiter/waitress needs not be Italian descendant. Same with French, Mexican,.....and even Japanese restaurants.

But for Chinese restaurants, no matter which one you patronize or how high end it is, the waiter/waitress is always Chinese (the hostess may not).

Chappie, that, too, I know. But most waiters at the restaurant I'm talking about seem to be born & raised in China, as they speak fine Mandarin. Also, it's not the language that does it. Or do they charge the Wenzhounese and people straight from China or Taiwan for tea? I don't think so.

But, anyway, back ontopic.

Well they charged on me once... Then I started swear loudly so the whole restaurant hear me. Of course I came frequently to the place...

Now I get free unlimited ice-tea :D.. Dont try this because you will be kicked out and banned form the restaurant :).