Chinese-Forums

First episode 97 - 请你原谅我

rob07

The time is 1977, the Cultural Revolution has just ended, and the first university entrance exams in years will be held soon. As the characters often say, 特别感谢邓小平同志. As far as I am aware, China is the country that invented the concept of social mobility based on academic merit, and as the TV series starts, it is just about to become possible again. I found this a very interesting theme.

The show itself consists of a series of complicated love triangles. The confusion is kicked off by a young man about to be married accidentally placing himself under a strong obligation to another beautiful woman suffering from attacks of mental illness. Although for a while it looked as if the mental illness angle was going to get too stupid, thankfully it soon fades into the background.

I found it interesting to watch how it all played out and saw it through to the end. But the scriptwriters apparently felt that one of the main characters was good and heroic whereas I felt their behaviour was just not on, I would perhaps even go so far as to describe them as an evil monster. Similarly another character did things that the scriptwriters clearly thought were admirable and farsighted, but I found creepy, disturbing and stupid.

So I was left scratching my head by the end of this. I suppose I was watching it waiting for a turnaround that never came. Anybody else seen this?

Youku link: http://www.soku.com/...h_video/q_请你原谅我

• Like 2