Chinese-Forums

How do people write on a PC in China?

mulans

heard you needed Windows 7 ultimate or better to get pinyin character input

You heard wrong. I've been using pinyin input since long before Windows XP

It works in all versions. yes. Even Windows 3!

or am I wrong?

No.

• 3 weeks later...

#8 --

I saw a Chinese student use a pen to write characters on a mouse pad at the library the other day. Looked very beautiful, but not very efficient. Is this a popular method for Chinese input?

This is mostly done by older Chinese who didn't learn Pinyin as kids in school.

• New Members

in older portable devices, it's usually more straightforward to write the characters one by one, because its pinyin input system is crappy that you have to spend a lot of time to choose a character from a large list. Nowadays, pinyin input system is much smarter and efficient, because it can recognise words or even phrase instead of just single characters.

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Most use pinyin. My father does at least. My mother likes to use the handwriting software. It's just preference. I think typically as a user gets more used to typing though, they will switch to pinyin and drop the handwriting altogether.

This is mostly done by older Chinese who didn't learn Pinyin as kids in school.

Or people who use Chinese but do not use any kind of phonetic-based system. Many people in HK using smartphones input Chinese by using their fingers to write on the screen, which is similar to using a stylus to write on an input pad. They are not necessarily older people.

But I agree that this is not an efficient input method in terms of input speed. But as native Chinese users need not learn anything to use this input method, it can be considered efficent in terms of learning time.

• 3 weeks later...

The most popular I've seen, and I mean almost 100% of cases I've encountered, people use Sougou IME

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sogou_Pinyin

Sogou Site: http://pinyin.sogou.com/

Most use it on both PC and Android phones, though I prefer Swype for Android.