Chinese-Forums

Permanent Residency is Possible

yialanliu

Hi guys,

I know we have online proof that there are Chinese citizens. It has been widely assumed that China doesn't have a real way of becoming a LPR/citizenship.

Just wanted to post that while having drinks with a high school friend of mine and we talked about how things have changed, and in that time, I learned that permanent residency is actually real.

His father recently left a position at a major US university and went to become a professor at a major university back in China. In the process, his father along with his mother applied and were granted LPR in China as expat who returned even though both were US citizens.

It turns out that there are many who are like them, either foreigners invited back to China or foreigners in general. The invitation seems to be the key however.

To the best of my knowledge, it seems to be similar to the US genius visas. No real quota on the number yearly, but you must be someone the chinese government feels that is special and would like you to stay.

Anyways, while it won't open the door for most of us, it is still something for those that qualify. Just a pity I don't :(

EDIT: Just realized this was sort of brought up from an earlier topic getting rebumped.

LPR means lawful permanent residence. In the united states it is called a green card.

a lawful permanent resident can live and work in the us of an indefinite period of time.

LPRs enjoy many of the rights that a citizen enjoys, except the right to vote or to hold certain positions.

in the US, LPR is considered a path to citizenship.

How long does his permanent residency last?

probably until he leaves the job, or says something about tibet or xinjiang. OP, are you sure he doesn't just have a standard residence permit like me and the other foreigners who work legally in China?

Doesn't "citizenship" imply it is lifelong?

I only know there is the "Permanent Residence Permit". Two colleagues (who are neither "high-level investors" nor have "remarkably contributed to Chinas development bla bla...") successfully applied for it, with help of the HR department of our company. It was a lengthy process which took more than one year, many documents had to be provided. But finally it was successful, the permit is valid for 10 years, no need to apply for visa and work permit anymore.

Probably, as usual in China, it depends on the region, the official's mood and many other factors if they grant the residence permit.

Interesting to know. Could you say where this was, what type of firm, and what type of positions the recipients hold?

the official's mood

I suspect (actually I think someone on here has said) that these cases are reviewed in Beijing, and I'd imagine they're handled pretty much by the book. Don't think there's much chance of getting a PSB desk clerk to take pity on you if you get rejected.

I suspect (actually I think someone on here has said) that these cases are reviewed in Beijing, and I'd imagine they're handled pretty much by the book.

I've been told the same by fairly high ranking provincial PSB people.

• 5 weeks later...

It's all too vague... some people say that after 5 years of Z visa you get a fabled "green card", some people say it's nearly impossible unless you can pull guanxi that are Beijing-government level (or something similar). It'd be top notch though... no more visa renewals...