Chinese-Forums

Is this sentence correct? 梦到办公室改我明天到香港出差,雀跃得一觉醒来发现在做梦

anonymoose

I just came across a sentence like this on weibo:

梦到办公室改我明天到香港出差,雀跃得一觉醒来发现在做梦

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

I think after (雀跃)得, there should be a complement of result, such as 雀跃得觉醒来. I guess what the author is wishing to express is 雀跃得觉醒来,一醒来就发现在做梦. Is it possible to contract this so that the result of 雀跃 and 醒来 appear in a single serial construction (as in the original sentence quoted)?

Also, as far as I recall, the 一(verb)就... construction should have 就 in it, although I have noticed several examples where this is not the case. Is the 就 just omitted here, or is this a different construction?

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

No. First, 改 should be 改派; second, the logic in the sentence that the realisation of being in a dream was the immediate result of ecstasy is wrong, because the realisation could only happen after the writer woke up.

I think after (雀跃)得, there should be a complement of result, such as 雀跃得觉醒来. I guess what the author is wishing to express is 雀跃得觉醒来,一醒来就发现在做梦.

Yes, that’s correct.

Is it possible to contract this so that the result of 雀跃 and 醒来 appear in a single serial construction (as in the original sentence quoted)?

Yes, sure. Putting them together would be 雀躍得醒了.

Also, as far as I recall, the 一(verb)就... construction should have 就 in it, although I have noticed several examples where this is not the case. Is the 就 just omitted here, or is this a different construction?

You’re right about the 一……就…… construction, but the construction of 一覺醒來 is different. I think you can treat it as a fixed phrase. 一路走來 has the same construction.

By the way, to say something to the effect of the original sentence, I would say 夢到公司改派我明天到香港出差,我給樂醒了,醒來才發現原來是做夢啊. (醒來才發現原來是做夢啊 is dispensable because it is implied, nonetheless many people often add it at the end of the sentence, perhaps to emphasise the fact.)

I thought 一覺醒來 was a phrase on its own...

It is, and it functions as an adverbial phrase.

Anyway, 雀躍得發現自己在做夢 sounds weird to me. I think, that's because, as I mentioned earlier, 發現自己在做夢 wasn't the immediate result of 雀躍.

OK, so what exactly does 一觉醒来 mean? I assumed that the 一 meant "as soon as", and that the author was trying to say "as soon as I woke up, I realised that it was a dream".

You’re right about the 一……就…… construction, but the construction of 一覺醒來 is different. Unfortunately, given my limited grammar, I can’t explain it. I think you can treat it as a fixed phrase.

I understand that 一觉醒来 is a fixed phrase, but I was thinking of placing 就 after it, making the original sentence 雀跃得一觉醒来就发现在做梦. But it still seems wrong.

OK, so what exactly does 一觉醒来 mean? I assumed that the 一 meant "as soon as", and that the author was trying to say "as soon as I woke up, I realised that it was a dream".

一 means one both in 一覺醒來 and 一路走來. 一覺醒來 means wake up after the (one) sleep.

Uh, beg to differ? That way it just sounds like the person added two adverbs in series rather than a completely illogical cause-result connection. I don't get why it's expected that weibo posts would follow strict grammar rules...

Edit:

Hold up, I have even seen 一觉醒来 used as a verb phrase. What makes 雀跃地一觉醒来、发现在做梦 worse exactly?

一 means one both in 一覺醒來 and 一路走來. 一覺醒來 means wake up after the (one) sleep.

So would I be correct to say that here the 一 is used idiomatically, and doesn't carry any significant meaning? In other words, the 一觉 is redundant in this sentence.

Uh, beg to differ? That way it just sounds like the person added two adverbs in series rather than a completely illogical cause-result connection. I don't get why it's expected that weibo posts would follow strict grammar rules...

Grammar doesn’t allow an adverb right before 一覺醒來. Even if you take it out, the sentence remains awful, meaning something to the effect of in rapture I realised it was a dream.

So would I be correct to say that here the 一 is used idiomatically, and doesn't carry any significant meaning? In other words, the 一觉 is redundant in this sentence.

Yes, I think you can say that in this case.

I am puzzled by your response.

I don't think I have ever said the words "XX地一觉醒来", but nothing goes off in my head saying that it's not allowed, and then a search of "地一觉醒来" on google and baidu produces a ridiculous and diverse amount of combinations such as 美美地一觉醒来, 饱饱地一觉醒来, 恍恍惚惚地一觉醒来, 迷迷糊糊地一觉醒来, 浑浑噩噩地一觉醒来, 昏昏沉沉地一觉醒来. I completely get the traditional grammar that would say no to this, but I feel and see a usage that differs from what you are saying.

On top of that, I am puzzled about why you think someone can't be really excited to find out that it was all a dream...

And then(!) you say that the 一觉 is redundant, suggesting that the meaning is just 醒来 (which it is) and giving even more to the possibility that the person just typed incorrectly.

Thanks for the discussion. It has helped me understand the original sentence.

I have a new question. What are the factors that would determine whether one says 一觉醒来 or just 醒来? Is it purely stylistic or a matter of personal preference, or is there a difference in nuance between the two?

I think 雀躍得一覺醒來 is not good. 一覺is unnecessary. But 得 makes sense here as it indicates the result. It would be ok if you amend it to read 夢到辦公室改我明天到香港出差,雀躍/興奮得醒過來,這才發現原來是做夢。 Or 夢到辦公室改我明天到香港出差,萬分雀躍。一覺醒來才發現原來是做夢。

OTOH 雀躍地一覺醒來 does not make sense. You can't 雀躍地醒來.

Is that because you're saying that 雀跃 can't be used as an adjective/adverb because it's strictly a verb, or because of semantic discord between waking up and jumping for joy?

http://www.baidu.com...欢呼 -欢欣&inputT=1

I have never used nor do I think I would ever use it that way, but I am trying to find an explanation for the 100,000+ uses of it that way in the above link. I think we all agree the first sentence doesn't make sense, but I am curious about what was going on in the poster's head.

雀躍地+verb is ok. But I think 雀躍地醒來 does not work, the same as in the cases of 雀躍地吃飯, 雀躍地上廁所, 雀躍地哭泣, etc.

PS - But then, nowadays people care very little about these things. And if everyone writes following the rules, there will be no more new styles. Indeed, why can't one 雀躍地醒來 and 雀躍地上廁所? These could be very lively descriptions for a hyperactive child, for example.

• Like 1

Can I point out that if you change it to 雀躍一覺醒來發現在做夢 it makes a whole lot more sense?
I don't think I have ever said the words "XX地一觉醒来"

You said it.

On top of that, I am puzzled about why you think someone can't be really excited to find out that it was all a dream...

I don’t think you fully understand what the sentence says. The author had a dream in which his office, who initially decided to send someone else on a business trip to Hong Kong tomorrow, finally chose him for the task. He was so overjoyed at the decision that he woke up, but only to find that it was a dream. How could he be expected to be happily hopping about like a sparrow when his bubble was burst? Besides, surely he couldn't be hopping about while waking up, as Skylee pointed out.

And then(!) you say that the 一觉 is redundant, suggesting that the meaning is just 醒来

How can you wake up without sleeping first? Of course, you sleep, and then you wake up. I didn’t suggest the meaning is just 醒來, but that 一覺 doesn’t carry “significant meaning”. Obviously here we are not talking about recovering consciousness.

What are the factors that would determine whether one says 一觉醒来 or just 醒来? Is it purely stylistic or a matter of personal preference, or is there a difference in nuance between the two?

I venture not to prescribe any rules, but I could say that there are some nuances between the two when they mean wake up from a sleep.

The major difference between the two words is that 醒來 can either mean wake up or regain consciousness, while 一覺醒來 means wake up from a sleep only.

I am sorry for the mistake of grammar. My answers are for 參考 only.

Typing it is hardly the same as saying it. Should I have said "I have never spoken the words" instead to be more clear?

I understand the sentence, thanks. I was proposing an alternative way to look at it. I think it's interesting that you are willing to accept waking up as a result of being happy but you are not willing to accept an exaggerated or even metaphorical description of the way the person was while they were waking up. Have you ever done something in your dreams and woken up to realize you were doing the same thing in your bed?

As for the third part, it looks like you've misunderstood what I was saying about redundancy. Or maybe I wasn't clear, but there is clearly a misunderstanding there.

• Like 1

雀跃得一觉醒来发现在做梦

There's probably an omitted comma and an implied 才:

雀跃得一觉醒来,(才)发现在做梦

The idiomatic phrase 一觉醒来, while literally meaning "waking up after a night's sleep", is usually used to mean "while one is unaware". You'll see it in the form of "一觉醒来 and something unexpected happens". i.e. Something happens while I was unaware.

Some phrases from google:

一觉醒来,臀骨和大腿旁部好酸好疼

I woke up and found that pain and soreness has developed in my hip and thigh.

慘不忍睹深圳少女一覺醒來母弟全死

The girl's mother and brothers was killed while the girl was unaware/asleep.

小夫妻异乡打拼中583万 一觉醒来撞中大奖

This couple woke up and found that they have won the lottery.

It actually doesn't fit the original sentence very well, that's probably why skylee says it's not good. My guess is that the author misused it when he really meant just 醒來 or 醒來了.

• Like 1