Chinese-Forums

不 and tone

Balthazar

This should be a fairly simple question. I know 不 is pronounced in the fourth tone. But today, while working through the third lesson of New Practical Chinese Reader (Textbook 1, 1st edition) I came upon several instances where it was written in pinyin with the second tone mark. To be more specific, this happens on pages 25, 27 and 30 (and perhaps elsewhere, I noticed these only when I tried to write some of the example sentences myself). Elsewhere it is written with the fourth tone.

Here's a picture (click for full size):

20121231131831.jpg

Is this simply a mistake not caught by the editor? Or does the context for some reason call for a second tone? (I'm an absolute beginner, but from what I understand you wouldn't change the tone in witing even if the context would make you change tone in speech (as in third tone followed by third tone, with the first changing into a second tone))

I think it's just a mistake, but the fact that it reoccurs several times made me a bit confused.

You are mostly right.

不 is pronounced using a second tone if it is immediately followed by a fourth tone. 一 is another tricky character, which can have three different tones depending on the following character and the context.

Correct pinyin mandates that you should write the original tone, and not indicate sandhi. So in dictionaries, 不 always carries the fourth tone, even in words where it is pronounced with a second tone (不必, 不对).

But I think that it is understandable that NPCR broke this rule in their first book because it would unnecessarily confuse new learners. So they indicate what you should pronounce. It is not a mistake, they broke the rule on purpose. You should pronounce the second tone if it is indicated in your book.

• Like 1

They do? I managed to order the first volume without the CD, so I havn't been able to listen to the suggested correct answer to the "Pronunciation Drills" of the book.

I thought the "New Practical Chinese Reader" series was generally held in high regard. Is this not the case?

They are held in high regard, and I haven't seen much controversial about what they teach.

They certainly don't teach the third tone as rising-falling. drencrom, can you tell us where you saw that, so I can find it in my copy?