Chinese-Forums

X- Visa application within 15 days

chrisoyoung

Hello all,

I am applying for an x-visa and I noticed that there is a requirement to residence permit within 15 days after arrival. Is this a strict requirement?

I am arriving just before Chinese New Year (on 2 feb) and I am worried that I will not be able to register with Tsinghua University as it will be closed for holidays.

This may sound like a stupid question but would anyone be able to let me know where to go to get my residence permit, and physical etc?

Thanks,

Chris

There is a permanent VISA Office at Tsinghua that can handle all International Student VISA's (both X- and F-). This is open during term times at specific hours and for longer hours during the semester registration period. You would take the relevant forms to them and they will process your VISA for you. Tsinghua provide you with a full visa application guide upon registration, this is also visible in the Visa office itself. They might even email you some information beforehand but I'm not so sure about that. If you are staying in dormitories then Tsinghua will also arrange your everything you need for your residence permit.

Have you already had a medical in your home country or are you going to do it in Beijing? Either way, Tsinghua will ask you to go to the HADIAN MEDICAL CENTRE. If you already have a medical completed in your home country, this needs to be verified and takes 24 hours for a small fee (around 60RMB). If you haven't had a medical you can just go there and have one (probably a lot cheaper). Again, Tsinghua provide you with a map/directions/instructions upon registration. You may also need to take some other documents with you but I can't remember at the moment.

You might be able to register early or something and start all the above sooner. The best thing to do would be to ring the Intl Office and ask their advice. The contact details are below in case you don't have them!

PH: 86-10-62784621 / 62771142

E-MAIL: chinese@tsinghua.edu.cn

Are you arriving earlier than Tsinghua suggests? Check with them that school registration will be possible during this period as many people will be away during this period for the holidays.

As above says - during term time Tsinghua will help you take care of applying for your residence permit and the associated medical checks. BUT if you are arriving earlier than they suggest, you might have problems.

Are you sure it's 15 days? It always used to be 30.

It's a pretty strict limit, however you don't actually need to have the permit in hand within 30 days, you just need to make sure you've applied for it by that time (it can take a week or two to process).

• 2 weeks later...