Chinese-Forums

private schools in Shanghai

James Garrison

Hi,

Former student of Donghua in Shanghai here! I am keen to avoid sitting in class being lectured to again, so I'd like to avoid a uni program. I see that many schools in Shanghai are very expensive, catering to the businessmen, students whose parents are bankrolling them, trustafarians, etc. Unfortunately, I fall into none of those categories.

I'd like to find a place that will give me a lot of speaking and targeted reading and listening. I DON"T want to listen to the Boya book CD's in class, then doing the in book exercises. I can do this at home. y chief concern is money. I realize that what I am seeking may not be possible in Shanghai, but I have to ask. Hadn't seen this topic posted in a year or so, and I know that things change fast. Even a school that is mostly Asian or in an out of the way part of Shanghai will do.

Bincai in Harbin is the standard I seek.

http://www.bincai.com/chinese/english/

Anyone have any suggestions?

• 6 months later...

Don't know if you're still looking, but I've had a pretty good experience with That's Mandarin -- most of my classes have been with a heavy emphasis on conversation/speaking and self-expression (some reading too), without the book work you find in university classes (I took two semeters at Beida beforehand).

http://www.thatsmandarin.com/

You're right, though, its weird there arent more posts about this topic.