Chinese-Forums

Translation "Available Only Here"

Chunn

I'm making a label to use in my shop, the words is "Available Only Here". I have translated it into "唯一售點", but I'm not sure that if it sounds right, especially for Chinese native speaking people.

If my translation is not appropriate, please advise :-?

Technically, "只此一家" and "独家销售" are different.

"只此一家" means "There's ONLY ONE store like this or named this in the whole world, so you can't find another store/brand like this anywhere else. And if you ever find one, that must be a fake (NOT original and usually bad) one."

"(本店)独家销售" means "This particular kind of goods is only available here in my store and it's impossible to find it anywhere else."

"只此一家" refers to the whole store, or sometimes the brand, NOT necessarily a particular product (i.e. "You can only find THIS STORE/BRAND here!"). On the contrast, "独家销售" most likely refers to a particular product (i.e. "You can only get THIS PRODUCT here!").

However, their meanings sometimes overlap each other. Since your store is unique ("只此一家"), you might have some products that are only avialable in your store ("独家销售"). If only you sell this particular product ("独家销售"), it surely makes sense to say your store is unique and cannot be found anywhere else (只此一家). So under some circumstances, they might be interchangeable.

In short, "独家销售" puts emphasis on the uniqueness of THAT PARTICULAR PRODUCT while "只此一家" THAT STORE OR BRAND.

Hope it helps.

Meng-Ju Wu

If it's a local or regional speciality product that is only available in a certain area, then maybe 本地特產 would be the best way to express it, the Chinese always go gaga for random bits of local produce/crafts produced for tourist consumption.

raylauxes, your explanation is fantastic!

pazu, i wonder that if you are thai or you are just learning thai. :wink:

anyway, what i really want to label is that a particular product is available only in the shop, the buyer cannot find them in any other shop in the world.

i got my solution, thank you everybody. this forum can help a lot, i definitely often log on. :D

Any thoughts about where the mania for supposed local specialties comes from? I understand the sentiment, but I can't explain why it is so much stronger here than what I am used to. I think it is could be related to the love of taking photos on trips.