Chinese-Forums

Does an independent traveller always go it alone?

Kenny同志

By the definition of 'independent', independent travellers shouldn't rely on others for help or advice. I wonder if they really always travel alone.

And if a bunch of backpackers form a team or group, can we still call them 'independent travellers'?

An "independent traveller" is just that - an independent traveller. It's really just independent + traveller. It's not a fixed phrase AFAIK. In other words, "independent" could refer to anything - the person doesn't take money from their parents, s/he does not work for any travel publisher, etc. I wouldn't assume that an independent traveller travelled alone.

• Like 1

I think of "independent traveller" as referring to a person who doesn't travel as part of an organised tour group. It could be someone travelling alone or with one or two friends. I would call a group of backpackers travelling together independent travellers.

• Like 1

By the definition of 'independent', independent travellers shouldn't rely on others for help or advice.

Is that possible? Even a lonelyplanet can be considered help and advice. As already said by tooironic I don't think it has a set definition and to me the line can be quite blurry. Someone booking a package deal with a tour operator is clearly not an independent traveler, Someone booking a plane ticket and arranging all transport/accomodation locally without a real plan, is an independent traveller, even if travelling in a group (however for larger groups this is not a practical solution)

Personally I tend to define independent as travelling without booking a pre-arranged package and without 'sponsor' who (in)directly decides on how the trip will go. Booking all components in advance seperately would for me count as independent. A business traveller or journalist without a set plan would not as there would be a sponsor who sets the objectives that limits the freedom to go as they please.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I consider myself to be an independent traveler.I usually travel alone but can make friends along the way.But independent doesnt mean not relying on help.We always need help in some way or the other.To me independent travel means not beng part of an organised group where everything is already set up(hotel,transport,meals,etc...)