Chinese-Forums

Requesting Help

Mz.CEO

Hello Board, :help

I know you guys have probably gotten this a lot, :oops: but I need help getting a translation for a tattoo that I have been trying to get for a while now. I have looked on the internet at many sites and I have got a little confused :-? with the different tranclations I have gotten. What I am trying to get is Beautiful, Strong, Proud, Leo. Basically how I should always see myself and a testament to me. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Thank You,

Mz. CEO :D

<--- 朗道英汉字典5.0 --->
tattoo
*[tә'tu:]
n. 归营号, 连续有节奏的敲击, 文身, 矮种马
vt. 连续有节奏地敲, 刺花纹于
vi. 作连续有节奏的敲击
<--- CDICT5英汉辞典 --->
tattoo
[tæˋtu;tәˊtuː,tæˊtuː | tæˋtu;tәˊtuː,tæˊtuː]
< tat.too >
<<名词>>
pl. tattoos
1 (军人, 海员的) 归营号
2 (军队夜间为表演节目的) 操演
3 连续的鼓声 (敲打声)
<<动词>>
tattooed, tattoo.ing, tattoos
<<不及物动词>>
(用手指) 持续敲打
<<及物动词>>
持续且规则地敲打

< tat.too >
<<名词>>
pl. tattoos
刺青; 纹身
<<动词>>
tattooed, tattoo.ing, tattoos
<<及物动词>>
1 刺青於 (皮肤上)
2 (在皮肤上) 刺花纹
<<名词>>
tat.tooer
<<名词>>
tat.tooist
<--- 牛津现代英汉双解词典 --->
tattoo
/ tE5tu:; ?@ tA5tu:; tA`tu/ n (pl ~s)  1 [sing] evening drum or bugle signal calling soldiers back to their quarters 归营鼓; 归营号: beat/sound the tattoo 敲归营鼓[吹归营号].  2 [C] elaborate version of this withmusic and marching, performed as a public entertainment归营游行(配有军乐的表演): a torchlight tattoo 火炬游行.  3 [C] drumming or tapping 敲鼓; 轻击: beating a tattoo on the table with his fingers 以手指在桌子上轻击鼓点.

/ tE5tu:; ?@ tA5tu:; tA`tu/ v [Tn, Tn.pr] (a) mark (sb's skin) with a permanent picture or pattern by pricking it and inserting a dye 给(某人的皮肤)刺染图案. (b) put (a picture or pattern) on the skin in this way 刺染(图案)於皮肤上: had a ship tattooed on his arm 在他的臂上刺一只船.

n (pl ~s) tattooed picture or pattern 刺在皮肤上的图案; 文身: His chest was covered in tattoos. 他的胸部刺满了花纹. * [attrib 作定语] a tattoo artist 文身的艺术家.

美(beautiful) 強(strong) 傲 (proud)

利奧 (Leo)

but

for a tattoo, IMO, a single character (e.g. 愛love) looks cool, 3 characters that make connective sense e.g. "我愛妳I LOVE YOU" look just fine, but 3 characters with totally unrelated meaings (as in your case) would look silly. You can do whatever you want of course 8)

利奧, which Quest suggested, would be the Chinese transliteration of the name Leo.

However, if by Leo you mean the zodiac sign, then 獅子座 (literally meaning lion constellation) would be more appropriate. If you want to refer to just a lion, then use 獅子. Using just the first character 獅 is also possible.

俊 - beautiful (for male) / handsome

偉 - big / great

雄獅 - male lion (or a strong army)

雄 - powerful / mighty

獅 - lion

俊偉雄獅 - a beautiful, magnificent and powerful lion (that is, assuming that you are not female)

Mz.CEO

i suggest you dismiss the idea to descripe yourself as a lion ,because in chinese words,most situations lion is only available for male,if one female is so "lucky" was descriped as lion,it mean she is very crude or tough,treat her husband as a slave,dominating in her family,etc.there is an idiom in chinese,河东狮吼(lion howl in hedong district), if people descripe your behavior (on your husband) as 河东狮吼,it would be an disaster to your reputation :)

i recommend you descriping yourself as phoenix in chinese or any animal isn't belong to predator.