Chinese-Forums

Anki 2 - adding new fields?

joshuawbb

Sorry for making a topic over a small question. I'm currently helping my girlfriend set up Anki 2 for her English, and we're trying to add a new field to a template - i.e. instead of having "front" and "back" fields, we've edited them to "word" "definition" and want to add "example" as a third field.

I've added this field by clicking on "fields" in the add card window, saving it to a template and as far as I can see it's worked fine. But the new third field doesn't display when reviewing cards - only the first two, "word" and "definition". I know there's something I must have missed, but from looking at the website's help section I've followed their instructions for adding the field, and it's mentioned that I should "add the field to the front or back of the card". Fine, but in the section prompted to read for that, I simply can't make head or tails of the instructions and can't find anything specific to adding a field.

Sorry if I seem to be missing something really obvious. I'm upgrading to Anki 2 and after years of using the old version a lot is just going way over my head. Could anyone help me out and explain in simple terms how to make the new field display?

Many thanks! :)

They should answer you here: http://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#%21forum/ankisrs

Am not on my PC so can't give you a confident answer now but try: with the card in front of you waiting to be answered:

Click Edit (bottom left)

Click Cards....

On the bottom box on the left I think you should see "definition" in double curly brackets, i.e. {{definition}}.

After that add <br> for a line break, then add {{example}}.

Suggest you take a screenshot or copy/paste the contents of that box before making changes, in case I've misled you.

• Like 1

Thanks very much, I'll give that a try as soon as I've finished a sync with Ankiweb.

Edit: That sorted it perfectly, many thanks! All the cards now work properly in this way.

Just wondering before I do it, will that do so for all cards in said template? My goal is to have this template with three fields, so that I add cards, fill in the three fields, then review and can see all three fields - with the third field on the back of the card, i.e. I press the space bar for the definition and the example field comes with it, in the same way that the old Mandarin template showed you the meaning and pinyin when pressing space.