Chinese-Forums

Problem with 直 in certain programs...

Balthazar

I've searched around for quite a bit without finding any answer to this.

I was adding a bunch of characters to Anki when I noticed that the character ** (zhí / straight) would not be displayed correctly. When i type it on my keyboard it's displayed correctly in the list of characters (tried with both sogou pinyin and Microsoft Pinyin IME), and it looks like it should when entered into the search field of nciku dictionary (image here). It looks right in Microsoft Word, too.

However, when pasting it (or typing it) into Anki, or Firefox (in the address bar or search field shortcut) it is displayed as 直**. Google Chrome is particularly strange, since in the address bar it displays the character correctly, but in the drop-down suggestion of a search (that appears automatically) it displays it wrong (image here).

From the Wiktionary-page it seems like this is the shinjitai-version, not the simplified Chinese one.

First I thought it could be a font problem, but changing the font did not help.

**Edit: upon posting this, I see that the characters look differently in "posted state" and "edit state". This is how the characters appear to me in edit mode:

59600343.jpg

Well, the one I assume to be correct is the one that appears in both the pinyin input methods I've tried, without the vertical stroke. According to wiktionary: "simplified does not have a left vertical stroke, while the traditional form has a left vertical stroke; and in simplified form, the top component is connected with the bottom, while in traditional they are separated".

I thought font issue too, but I've tried Arial (which has never given me problems with simplified characters before), Times New Roman and Andalus. I'll go through the list and check the others, then.

Perhaps I'm making too big a deal out of this, just trying to stick to simplified characters for now (and figured that perhaps other similar "problems" has happened unnoticed previously, when I've added stuff without careful examination of the pasted characters).

I don't think wiktionary is right. Normally when we write it there is no vertical stroke on the left of the character, regardless if it is in traditional form or in simplified form. You may wish to refer to this website hosted by the Taiwan Ministry of Education for reference. You can see the official form and the variants of the character.

The one with a vertical stroke on the left is a variant, and its appearance, which is a non-issue to native users, seems to be a font issue.