Chinese-Forums

Extra cash?

benjo

Being that studying gets expensive, does anyone here do anything to make a little extra cash on the side? Freelancing a service perhaps, like proofreading, English tutoring, copywriting, etc? Is this even legal if you are on a student or tourist visa (or illegal, but only if you get caught?)

It's illegal to work for anyone other than the institution that supplied the visa. It's also illegal to work as a teacher on a student visa. I've know people that have got kicked out of China for doing this.

The school I used to go to for Chinese study would let you teach English as part of your Chinese study. :wink:

As far as doing in on the side... I know alot of people that tutor "for free" (this is my friend, we are just hanging out talking in English :wink: ) and get the money under the table. As long as you are not making a trouble for your school, I think they'll let you get by.

• 3 weeks later...

I felt like bumping this topic up and adding my own spin to the question because I am interested in studying in China in the future and money is definitely an issue. Besides just "side jobs," as mentioned in this post, what sorts of options are out there to reduce the cost of studying abroad? Scholarships, work-study programs, internships, surely these are out there. I know I can do my own search on this stuff, but I figure there are at least a few of you on this board who have had personal experience with some pretty good deals.

Thanks.